Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Japanese ww2 samurai sword

Article about: Real or reproduction Annoyed from this ads?  

Default Help with Japanese ww2 samurai sword

Real or reproduction
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Japanese ww2 samurai sword   Help with Japanese ww2 samurai sword  

Help with Japanese ww2 samurai sword   Help with Japanese ww2 samurai sword  

Help with Japanese ww2 samurai sword   Help with Japanese ww2 samurai sword  

Help with Japanese ww2 samurai sword  

?

Repro.

Regards,
    Stu

?

I lose track of who I have directed to the pinned thread on Type 95 IJA NCO swords so please forgive me if I duplicate a prior action now.

IJA Type 95 NCO Sword Info

You will note differences in such areas as overall quality of manufacture, blade groove shape, stampings on fuchi and serial number/arsenal acceptance stamp layout to name just a few.

Regards,
    Stu

These have been coming out of China on Ebay in prolific numbers for some years now...very poor construction

?

A bad reproduction, the poorly cast tsuka and stamped numbers on the saya also are a give away. Read Stu's great thread on the subject and also look at this page about different Guntos.

Non-commissioned officers Gunto 1935 (Type 95 GuntM)/title>

Thanks for the help. After reading the thread on the forum I realized it was probably a fake. Thank you. Did not buy it. Charlie

With the help of your thread I was able to purchase a real one with all proper markings and first rate quality. Thank you

You know, I am realy glad that I joined this Forum and that I get to read threads like this one. It is one hell of a learning curve. As a militaria collector for over 50 years with an occassional interest in Japanese swords, I would have taken the sword at issue to be a late war low quality original!! Beep beep beep WRONG!!!!! You will have heard of "Sleepless in Seattle" now meet "dumpkopf in Peterbourgh".
    Thank you for the post and the subsequent comments.
    Regards to all Michael Ryan

?

Quote by mayralphie View Post
    With the help of your thread I was able to purchase a real one with all proper markings and first rate quality. Thank you
    Hello Charlie,

Please post photos when you have it in hand. I never get tired of looking at good ones.

Regards,
    Stu

Michael, these Chinese knockoffs are becoming somewhat of a scourge..They have almost created an artificial "original",by that i mean, these are easy to spot as fakes to those of us with some knowledge in them,but they are producing so many that they have taken on a life of their own....The last couple of years in Australia ive had people show me dozens of these things..always with some story about the swords being left in China after the war etc etc ...The remarkable thing is no matter how many times you tell them its fake,they wont believe you lol ...i know of people who are so convinced these fake ones are real they wont buy a real one,its crazy