Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Help with Older Tanto

Article about: Hello All,I may have a chance to purchase this older Tanto. Sorry for the hurried photos I only had a few minutes.The piece was in well handled shirasaya with a solid silver habaki There is

Default Help with Older Tanto

Hello All,I may have a chance to purchase this older Tanto. Sorry for the hurried photos I only had a few minutes.The piece was in well handled shirasaya with a solid silver habaki There is a mei but it is very difficult to see I tried a little cornstarch to help but time was limited!! Any help or comments welcome! Regards,Geoff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Older Tanto   Help with Older Tanto  

Help with Older Tanto   Help with Older Tanto  

Help with Older Tanto   Help with Older Tanto  

Help with Older Tanto  

One more
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help with Older Tanto  

Looks like

菊御作
    Kiku Go-saku
    Chrysanthemum Imperial-made

... but I thought those swords bore only a 5-petaled Mum, not an actual signature.

Let's wait for the pros to comment.

--Guy

Thank you Guy,The blade is 14 1/8" from tip of nakago to tip of kissaki and 1 3/8" at its widest point with a very solid feel.

The mei of Emperor Gotoba who was reigning in the Late Kamakura period. The mei appears to be poorly cut and likely gimei. It still appears to be a nice old tanto.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thank you very much Bob! I shall consider buying the blade not the "Story" Regards,Geoff