Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Help with Signed WW2 Japanese Sword

Article about: Hi all, I'm new to collecting and was wondering if someone can help me identify this Japanese Sword. It is signed and marked and I also found some sort of stamp. Any help you can give would

?

Default Help with Signed WW2 Japanese Sword

Hi all, I'm new to collecting and was wondering if someone can help me identify this Japanese Sword. It is signed and marked and I also found some sort of stamp. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. Thank youHelp with Signed WW2 Japanese SwordHelp with Signed WW2 Japanese SwordHelp with Signed WW2 Japanese SwordHelp with Signed WW2 Japanese SwordHelp with Signed WW2 Japanese Sword

MAP
    ?

Kypo,

Welcome to the forum. Some of the sword experts will be around shortly.

Pictures are nice and clear which is a help but if possible could you take a few with the Kanji (writing) straight up and down (sword tip facing up) instead of on an angle. This will help the guys to read the Kanji.

Regards,

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Thanks Michael, it was very hard getting a clear vertical picture, hope these would help.Help with Signed WW2 Japanese SwordHelp with Signed WW2 Japanese SwordHelp with Signed WW2 Japanese Sword

MAP
    ?

Thanks. This should help. Give it a bit of time. People will be around. There are some very knowledgeable sword guys here.

Looks like a nice on to me. But wait for the experts.

Regards

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Here's a couple more. Again, thanks for your help. Help with Signed WW2 Japanese SwordHelp with Signed WW2 Japanese Sword

兼代
    Kaneshiro

昭和十六年七月

Shōwa jū roku-nen shichi-gatsu
    July 1941

This name lightly [and crudely] engraved is above the date; I suspect it was the owner's name:
    久保田
    Kubota

Perhaps this smith was 後藤 兼代 (Godo Kaneshiro)?

"These smiths below were winners of the Shinsaku Nihonto Denrankai held in 1941 but missed in Hikosaburo's Tosho Banzuke."
    He is in category 5 "Up-and-Coming"
    Link

--Guy

P.S.

That cherry blossom stamp looks like it has an anchor inside.

--Guy

?

Thanks Guy, I really appreciate the information. Can you please explain the importance of winning the Shinsaku Nihonto Denrankai, is this a way of validating the quality of a Japanese swords? Also, is this sword somewhat common and what do you think its worth? Sorry for all the questions, I'm new and this is quite exciting. Again, thanks for your help...

Quote by kypo View Post
    ... Can you please explain the importance of winning the Shinsaku Nihonto Denrankai, is this a way of validating the quality of a Japanese swords?
    This link about sword contests should be helpful.

I cannot comment on values since I do not collect. I will say that any sword with a seki stamp cannot legally be sold in Japan or even taken back to Japan because it will automatically fail the mandatory evaluation. These swords are considered by the authorities no better than a "Saturday Night Special" -- they are solely weapons made to kill. It might be a great sword for that purpose ... but well .... there you go!

And before I get stuck with saying "never" ... perhaps..... maybe..... IF a sword "tattooed" with a Seki stamp was proven to be hand-made of native sand-ore steel (tamahagane), it might be legal to keep it in Japan. I've heard of some unscrupulous people in Japan have had the stamps removed, then legally registered.

Some "tattooed" swords are complete junk; others might be higher-quality junk, or even good swords. The experts can tell if the blade is oil-quenched (non-traditional and more forgiving of the tempering process) or water-quenched (true "Nippon-To"); they can "read" the skin of the blade, etc. I can't do any of that.

Cheers,
    --Guy

Any honors bestowed upon a swordsmith would have no meaning when it comes to an arsenal factory non traditional made blade. You have a very nice example of an IJA officer katana typical of the type mass produced in the period.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast