Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Help for translate 2 dog tag

Article about: The first is in Aluminium The second is in Bronze it is Ishida 6362 Ishida (officer name ?) Regiment soldier 6362 ? Thanks

?

Default Help for translate 2 dog tag

The first is in Aluminium

The second is in Bronze it is Ishida 6362

Ishida (officer name ?) Regiment soldier 6362 ?

Thanks

Tomp should be able to help. Otherwise I have no archive connection at hospital, so you need to wait till I’m out tomorrow.

First one:

鋼第三三七四部隊
    Steel No. 3374 Battalion/Section/Element

廿隊
    20th Battalion/Group

第三一号
    No. 31

Second one:

六三六二

石田暢輝
    Ishida **
    [I am unable to read the given name, though I've found a few Japanese men with that name ... no kana or romanization!] We will have to jiggle Nick while he's still "im Lazarett"!

--Guy

?

Your aluminum one looks interesting. I read it as "Hagane" 12374 which was for the 4th Tank Div. Transport Unit. The middle column, to me, looks like "Se" Tai, which seems to be a thing with sub units and tank related ID tags. I believe one possibility for the "se" is it is the beginning of the commander's name. It could be something else entirely. Sorry, but I don't have a number ID for the 2nd tag.

Tom

Rod
    ?

Hi Type4,

The aluminum one is 鋼 (Hagane) 12374 code for the 4th Armoured Division Transport Unit. The 4th Armoured Division spent its brief existence in Sakura, Chiba Prefecture, the homeland under the 36th Army.

6362 isn't clear to me. The list says 4th Sector Unit of the 8口守 Unit (which is an abbreviation). Maybe you can get someone else's help with it, I'm at a loss.

Rod
    ?

Never rains but it pours, there you go!

?

tanks Rod and Tomp, Hagane are tank unit or only transport? I can use this dog tag for a tanker mannequin

Were i can see the codes? Exist a list?
    Thanks

Rod
    ?

Quote by Type4 View Post
    tanks Rod and Tomp, Hagane are tank unit or only transport? I can use this dog tag for a tanker mannequin

Were i can see the codes? Exist a list?
    Thanks
    "Hagane" is the code kanji for the entire 4th Tank Division. I included it in my post, you can compare it with the kanji top left side on your tag. 12374 identifies the Transport Unit.

We made our own lists from various sources around the internet, especially the JACAR web site. Most of the information is in Japanese. Nicks article on Japanese Army dog tags is a great starting point.

Cheers

OK, luckily I escaped from the Krankenhaus prison now.

Tomp and Rod already did a great job deciphering the codes, so I will take you a step further to show how far you can go with the archives.

Firstly, your transport trooper from the 4th Tank Division was a member of a 2-company unit of 767 men, equipped with 2 Type 99 LMGs, 1 passenger car, 5 command cars, 166 lorries and 2 light repair-shop vehicles. No idea what the middle line is trying to say within this very limited context. He was more like a Fedex truck driver than a tank man, as you can see.

The other tag number, 6362 stood for 第8国境守備隊第4地区隊 (8th Border Garrison, 4th Sector Unit) patrolling the border between Manchuria and Russia, composed of infantry and artillery components, they were responsible for sector 4 out of a total of 5 sectors. They were part of the 6th Army stationed in the Hailar District and were involved in the Nomonhan Incident.

The name on the tag may be read Nobuki (or Masaki or Mitsuki) Ishida. Normally a full name indicates officer, but officer tags required ranks also to be shown, so it may have also been for an army civilian, like Japanese-Russian interpreters.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help for translate 2 dog tag  
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 06-21-2018 at 05:52 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast