Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Help to translate a sword Blade please

Article about: Hello guys, it's me again with another request.......The chap I "swapped" some bits with for that Wakasaki the other day, phoned me this morning and asked if I wanted anymore. He g

Default Help to translate a sword Blade please

Hello guys, it's me again with another request.......The chap I "swapped" some bits with for that Wakasaki the other day, phoned me this morning and asked if I wanted anymore. He gave me 2 blades ....just blades......that are in pretty poor condition, with chips and rust marks, but one is signed TWICE... on each side of the tang. So i put a candle over it, and used cello-tape to put across it pulled the tape off and stuck it onto some white paper It's a full sized blade, that has somewhat suffered in it's life, but are the photos any good to see the writing?.....Oh and I picked this up from him too, and boy what a beauty, That's my era, so I know what I've got

Thanks again for any assistance you might have
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help to translate a sword Blade please   Help to translate a sword Blade please  

Help to translate a sword Blade please   Help to translate a sword Blade please  

Help to translate a sword Blade please  

Hi John-
    The blade is signed and dated. The signature part reads Bizen no Kuni ju Osafune ? ? A resident of the province of Bizen, village of Osafune and the last two characters are too light for me to make out. I will see if I can make out the date. It would me much easier if you had posted the pictures vertical instead of sideways. Osafune was a very large sword making location during the warring states period. I will be back to you on the rest of the signature. Note our sticky on how to post sword tangs for translation.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

LOL................sorry Bob, hows this?

Thanks for your help, I'm getting into something that is both fascinating and enjoyable, but I doubt if it is affordable. This might be something I start to collect, as apart from ammunition, I don't collect anything
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help to translate a sword Blade please   Help to translate a sword Blade please  

Hi John-
    Now they are upside down. Check the sticky thread as it explains how to post. The light carved writing is typical of Bizen swords made pre 1600.
    BOB

LOl I've just noticed,,,, how's this

Sorry..I'll get the hang of it soon, I promise

Hi John-
    It is still too light for my old eyes. Maybe a younger set can make out the missing pieces. I can make out ju hachi(18)on the date but not the era. Possibly highlighting with chalk will help.
    BOB

I will take some better pictures tomorrow Bob................... in the "studio".............LOL

?

As you mentioned friend the blades are in extremely poor condition. I would invest in better quality blades myself.
    There are numerous Japanese arms and armor dealers that will have good quality swords for not much money.
    I would go that way rather than buying ( in my personal opinion ) rusted pieces of junk with no real collector value.

strange,I found this post amusing go for it John.

It was free

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast