Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Help Wanted: Where to find NCO shin-gunto, Brass Tsuka/Handle

Article about: Sir, What you have there is not an NCO sword but in fact a late-war officer sword that was likely fabricated either in 1944 or 1945. Based on Dawson's research on these swords, I have come l

Default Fudo Myou

The writing at the 12 o'clock position is called "bonji" and is really a stylized version of the sanscrit word अचल. This one is for one of the "gods" of war, Fudo Myou, the Immovable. Fudo stands chained at the gate of hell with his sword of enlightenment, ready to smack the entrant with it so that the entrant may be enlightened before descending into death.

The two kanji to the left say 戦勝 "Sen Shou" [Victory in War] and on the left are 祈願 "Kigan" [Prayer Request] ... so it's a prayer request for victory in combat.

Further to the left is the name of the shrine, 成田山 Narita-San [Narita Mountain], and it is still there, not far from Narita International Airport.

Then the priest's name, 先達 Sendatsu [senior] 横井 定蓮 Yokoi Jouren. His family name is Yokoi [side well] and his professional name is Jouren [Constant Lotus].

Fudo Myou:

Fudo -- a statue I had carved in LA by a resident Japanese temple carver (1984). I asked him to make a copy of Miyamoto Mushashi's statue.

--Guy

kaylahlaurie
    ?

I have the same looking sword as the one in the pictures, but I have a picture of the tang.. can any one here give me some more information about it's value or history?

Help Wanted:  Where to find NCO shin-gunto, Brass Tsuka/Handle

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Help Wanted:  Where to find NCO shin-gunto, Brass Tsuka/Handle  

昭和十九年五月
    Showa 19th Year, 5th Month [May 1944]
    吉近
    Yoshichika

4th smith from the bottom of page 341.

I'm not a collector, so don't know value. Our experts can't tell unless they see the full bare blade and can check the temper.

......Unless there is a showa {昭} or seki stamp... then they'll tell you it is semi-machine forged and non-traditional.

--Guy

吉岡鉄次郎 Tetsujiro Yoshioka was his real name, and he signed the tang 吉近, Yoshichika and 1944.

?

As to value ... always best to start a new thread with good pictures of the entire sword and members will offer more info.

Regards,
    Stu

Quote by Stu W View Post
    As to value ... always best to start a new thread with good pictures of the entire sword and members will offer more info.

Regards,
    Stu
    Please do so as tagging on another's thread will have your item lost in the shuffle.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3