Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?

Article about: From the appearance of the paint(which looks legitimate) I don't know if there ever Was an anchor emblem on this helmet. Can you see any traces of one in hand?

Default How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?

This coming Tuesday I will be leaving to go back to college. On my way I will be passing an antique store that currently has a Japanese cover and helmet for sale at $600. This store is far from home and my apartment, so Tuesday will be the only chance I will get to examine it. I have been researching Japanese helmets and covers for a few weeks now, but I am still puzzled at the different prices covers seem to be selling at and listed for. I assume the covers bearing patches are more desirable, and of course condition is also a factor.

1. This cover sold on eBay for $400 in a 5 day auction, with only 1 bid.

How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?

2. This cover is navy, but price is around $2000 on the Collectors Guild. (cover alone)

How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?

3. Cover sold for $400 on bidding on eBay.

How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?

4. Cover sold for $700 on eBay auction. (The cover I will be looking at looks very similar to this one)

How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?

5. Sold for $800 on eBay auction

6. These two are from the Ruptured Duck and priced at around $1800

How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?

As you can probably tell from the examples I have shown, prices on covers from dealer's sites and eBay auctions are drastically different. I am wondering why the dealer covers are priced so high. I can understand navy covers being more desirable, but even the dealer sold army covers were listed around 2k. I am grateful for whomever will explain these prices to a plebeian like myself?

Regards

Default Re: How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?

The Antique Shop owner could have web-searched as you did
    to come up with a figure. Good deal if it's a genuine set.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    The Antique Shop owner could have web-searched as you did
    to come up with a figure.
    I believe the owner is selling for an old collector that is not up to date on prices. There are many original items in there with odd prices, approximately 400 items. He has a Fallschirmjäger smock insignia, uniform removed, for $200. I assume these prices are what the collector bought them for about 20 years ago, and he is only selling at the prices he paid to get his money back.

You might get some bargains.........
    Regards,

Steve.

That's great if I do, but beside the point. I'm just trying to figure out how to value these Japanese covers, and understand why prices are so inconsistent.

Usually, such a drastic difference in prices would be cause for concern about the originality of the item. However, sometimes small mom-and-pop antique store dealers might not be up on worldwide selling prices because they deal locally, or, as you said, the dealer is just wishing to break even and maybe knows it will go to a good home at that price. You can speculate a hundred different things for the price difference. I know nothing about Japanese anything, so I wouldn't even be able to tell you what to begin to look for authenticity wise. My one caution with any antique store is that most have a "No Returns/All Sales Final" policy, so you might want to keep that in mind if you have any doubt. I have actually gotten in touch with dealers about items and they have told the store owners that they were extending a return policy to me for that specific item, should I find it to be a bad one. Never hurts to ask. To answer your question, who knows the true reason for the difference in price. You could ask the dealer, but then he would be tipped off on the true going prices for these covers and might up his price. Good luck with it and let us know what you decide to do when you pass that way.

?

With decent IJA helmets alone going for $500+ most times on the auction sites, and if the helmet at the store is in good shape, it indeed looks like a great bargain for the set.

Tom

Hey guys I just bought the helmet. It is an IJN helmet with 2nd pattern IJN cover. The cover has the anchor patch to. The helmet is complete to, with liner and chinstrap. I'll post pictures when I get home. On similar navy helmets I have seen, there is a metal anchor mounted on front. My helmet is missing that piece, does that decrease value much?

Thanks

?

Imo, there shouldn't be horrible decline in value to the helmet. Other helmets missing the metal anchor insignia have been restored by collectors in the past using original insignia. Assuming that the helmet and cover are legit., you did very well considering the price. Looking forward to the pics!

Tom

There is a good amount of paint flaking on one side, also the liner band is pretty stiff. Any ideas on value of this helmet? I think the cover is a 2nd pattern IJN cover. It is hard to pick up with the camera, but there is an anchor on the patch. Sorry the photos are out of order.

Thanks,
    Corey

How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?How do you price a Japanese helmet cover?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast