Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

I.d. Japanese tunic please

Article about: Hello, I have just purchased this tunic on ebay for just £22. That seemed very cheap to me so I thought it was worth a shot. It looks to me like a 1930's type 5 cotton tunic, but my referenc

Default I.d. Japanese tunic please

Hello, I have just purchased this tunic on ebay for just £22. That seemed very cheap to me so I thought it was worth a shot. It looks to me like a 1930's type 5 cotton tunic, but my reference book says these are unlined, (this example is lined) and the markings look non standard and I cant see a date, so I'm wondering what I have bought. It looks to have had the pre-war type shoulder insignia attached at some point. Could it be a private purchase tunic, or a civillian item? These are the sellers pictures as it has not yet arrived. Can any one help? Many thanks, Douglas
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I.d. Japanese tunic please   I.d. Japanese tunic please  

I.d. Japanese tunic please   I.d. Japanese tunic please  

I.d. Japanese tunic please   I.d. Japanese tunic please  

Default Re: I.d. Japanese tunic please

Well, the jacket was made by

洋服

Tsutsui Yohfuku Ten

Tsutsui Western Clothiers Shop
    [Tsutsui is alternately pronounced Susui in some families]

電話七六0 番
    Telephone number 760
    I can't make out much of the handwritten script, but the last line (first on the left) reads:

山田 ~太郎

Yamada ....~taro
    The owner's name. Can't read all of his given name, but the "taro" implies he is the eldest son.

Cheers!
    --Guy

Ok, thank you. Can any one confirm that this is a military item?

Im reading Mike Hewitts book 'Uniforms and Equipment of the I.J.A. in WW2' and I am narrowing this down, I think it is either a Zaigo (military reservists) tunic or an army officers, as both of these had studs fitted to the collar of their tunics where as enlisted men did not. It would be great if anyone has any further information, as I need to know what insignia to put on it.