Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I suspect I bought a fake Japanese Type 95 Sword

Article about: So I think I did something dumb today. My son was interested in buying military antiques and without doing research (which I almost always do) we bought a Type 95 Japanese non-commissioned s

Default I suspect I bought a fake Japanese Type 95 Sword

So I think I did something dumb today. My son was interested in buying military antiques and without doing research (which I almost always do) we bought a Type 95 Japanese non-commissioned sword fro $450 at a reputable antique market. Attached are pictures. After doing research (after the fact) I'm very suspicious that I have a fake but would like confirmation (before I take it back). Some of the markings look "unique", there is no serial on the scabbard, and I'm seeing an interesting marking near the blade proclaiming the emperor in Japanese with a flag symbol (see picture). My wife, who is Japanese, just looked at a Japanese web site that stated that real Type 95 swords never have emperor on them.... What do you think?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I suspect I bought a fake Japanese Type 95 Sword   I suspect I bought a fake Japanese Type 95 Sword  

I suspect I bought a fake Japanese Type 95 Sword   I suspect I bought a fake Japanese Type 95 Sword  

I suspect I bought a fake Japanese Type 95 Sword  

It does not look good to me and yes your wife is correct as most wives are. I hope you can get a refund, Good luck. Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

Hello and Welcome,

The sword you show is indeed a well known reproduction. I do hope you can recover your money.

If time permits have a look through the thread on these Type 95 swords that is pinned above.

Regards,
    Stu
    EDIT: Here is a link to the thread ...

IJA Type 95 NCO Sword Info

IMO its a chinese made replica.

?

B Bostick, Mother know best !! And W.R.F. members know BETTER.. Next time please post before shelling out your hard earned $$$ Just a Thought !! Welcome to the Forum by the way...G

Thank you everyone --- I got a lengthy speech from my Japanese wife about how I shouldn't buy Japanese antiques without her looking into it first.... Anyway I was able to take it back and get a refund. Apparently the store talked to the seller and he was convinced it was real and that he had a number of them just like it (warning signs) and asked if I wanted to talk to him -- I asked for just the refund.... We did provide them hard copies of some of the material from the web including the Japanese website that had a lot of info on the Type 95 and reproductions (my wife wrote out some of the translations for them). Apparently there are a lot of fakes floating around in Japan as well.

Welcome to the Forum. I am glad we assisted in you recovering your money. The habaki(sword collar)with the engraving is something only found on modern fakes. Genuine examples were plain. The Chinese fakers have a tendency to add additional decoration to entice the uninformed.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Rod
    ?

Quote by B Bostick View Post
    Thank you everyone --- I got a lengthy speech from my Japanese wife about how I shouldn't buy Japanese antiques without her looking into it first.... Anyway I was able to take it back and get a refund. Apparently the store talked to the seller and he was convinced it was real and that he had a number of them just like it (warning signs) and asked if I wanted to talk to him -- I asked for just the refund.... We did provide them hard copies of some of the material from the web including the Japanese website that had a lot of info on the Type 95 and reproductions (my wife wrote out some of the translations for them). Apparently there are a lot of fakes floating around in Japan as well.
    I love it when things work out. The sword's a goner and the wife is a keeper. Nice!

Rod

?

B Bostick welcome to WRF - which stands for "WERE...REALLY...FUNNY" Actually in all seriousness good luck with the sword. This is the best forum out there and we are glad you joined us. Best group of militaria experts out there and a few good ones at humor as well.

I just celebrated 25 years of marriage to a blue eyed blonde Norway girl and "ya sure you betcha she is always right too don't cha know"
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

Thanks everyone for the info and humor Since both my son and I like to collect military collectibles I'm sure we will have more to add/ask. The next question is that now that my son has his Christmas loot back, what will he want to spend it on next....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast