Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

I would like to know what was the lenght of the Japanese sword blades, and were there any blades manufactured with no markings?

Article about: I will post pics later of a blade I picked up

?

Default I would like to know what was the lenght of the Japanese sword blades, and were there any blades manufactured with no markings?

I will post pics later of a blade I picked up

Default re: I would like to know what was the lenght of the Japanese sword blades, and were there any blades manufactured with no markings?

Various lengths; no standardization.

Yes, there are swords with no signature.

--Guy

Default re: I would like to know what was the lenght of the Japanese sword blades, and were there any blades manufactured with no markings?

The length of Japanese sword blades varied. They were made to fit the form of fighting that was in play at the time the blade was made. Many swords are unsigned. If a swordsmith received a contract to furnish 50 blades for a Daimyo, these would usually not be signed as the work would be used as a learning tool for the smith's apprentices. Swords that did not meet the standards of a swordsmith would also be unsigned. At times, swords such as this could be given to an apprentice as payment for his work. In most cases, an unsigned sword is an indication of an inferior blade. The exception would be a blade shortened and having it's signature removed.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

yes Bob, thanks I think that the blade was shortened, because the blade is (starting from the top of brass ring) only 18.5 inches, and the part of the blade going into the hilt is 4.5 inches, and it appears to be cut down due to its rough appearance.
    p.s upon soaking the lower portion of the blade in vineager, one faint painted? character is slightly visiable in the rust

?

One of the fastest ways to devalue a sword is to inappropriately clean it. This applies particularly to rust on the nakago. I suggest you proceed with caution or better yet hold off until we see what you have.

Regards,
    Stu

The blades of these heirloom swords were all hand polished and the process is extremely expensive. Years ago, I remember the figure quoted to re-polish a stained blade as being in the area of $100 per Inch.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

so using a rubber wheel on a bench gringer is not the smartest idea?

well ill post photos tomarrow

Quote by attila View Post
    so using a rubber wheel on a bench gringer is not the smartest idea?
    Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

You were joking, ....... right?

--Guy

We are still anxiously awaiting your pictures.
    BOB

Default Re: I would like to know what was the lenght of the Japanese sword blades, and were there any blades manufactured with no markings?

Attila-
    We are still waiting!
    BOB