Become our sponsor and display your banner here

ID/Dog Tag

Article about: is this tag military or a civilian type Japanese tag? If an ID tag does it say service person's name and service unit? or location? Thank you Annoyed from this ads?   Joe

Default ID/Dog Tag

is this tag military or a civilian type Japanese tag? If an ID tag does it say service person's name and service unit? or location?
    Thank you
    Joe
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tag 1 front.JPG 
Views:	24 
Size:	109.0 KB 
ID:	742957   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tag 1 back.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	87.5 KB 
ID:	742956  

Rod
    ?

Hi Joe,
    It's military. There's never a name on these tags, commonly just unit and soldier's number. On the right side top it says Ho= walk as in hohei = walk soldier or infantryman, underneath is 10, 9, ? Which is probably 19 but I have no clue as to whether the bottom mark means anything as it's not a number.

Middle row is just 1, 6, 0. Possibly battalion, company info but I'm not very familiar with these tags, someone will have a better idea than I.

Left side is I think 4th Regiment. That's the best I can do without digging, I hope someone can step up and correct any mistakes I've made or confirm if that's ok.

Regards, Rod

?

As Rod stated, the right most number is 19, for the the 19th Infantry Regiment. The bottom "slash" is probably made to be the particle "no" which is for possession, so there would be another number below that. The middle column is usually for sub units, mostly company or battalion numbers, but 160 is way too high for such a designation. The left most number is the soldier's individual ID number. It is a really strange tag, and i for one have my doubts about it. At any rate, it would be a pre WW2 tag since it has the regiment number and is not using a coded unit number. The 19th regiment was part of the 9th Division which ended up on Taiwan and did not see any combat with the US, and the division remaining intact until surrender.

Tom

?

Hi Rod,

I assume you were meaning EM tags when you said they never have names on them. If not you may like to know that officer tags can have name and rank, in addition to other details, on them.

Regards,
    Stu

Rod
    ?

Hi Stu,

Thank you so much for the information! I didn't know that the officers tags had their names on them, I think I've only seen one come up somewhere. I was referencing enlisted tags and these are something I'm just beginning to pay attention to. This kind of input is why I enjoy these exchanges so much.

Best wishes, Rod