Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Identifying these Civil Style Helmets Please

Article about: Hello, Any help with these would be much appreciated. They came with other Japanese civilian helmets but are of an uncommon style - I quite like them. They are shaped like a WWII era Commonw

Default Identifying these Civil Style Helmets Please

Hello,

Any help with these would be much appreciated. They came with other Japanese civilian helmets but are of an uncommon style - I quite like them. They are shaped like a WWII era Commonwealth helmet but are made of a hardened plastic or fibreglass material. A very basic liner and chinstrap. These helmets would only offer the slightest protection

I can only suspect that the writing tags may offer a clue - The first column (2nd for the West) of writing appears to say the same thing on both helmets.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying these Civil Style Helmets Please   Identifying these Civil Style Helmets Please  

Identifying these Civil Style Helmets Please  

?

You could have a huge collection of just civilian/ last ditch/ homeland defense helmets. So many variations exist! Very nice examples!

?

It looks like your kanji says something to the effect of: Takahama #6 Section -- on both helmets, and then the left column of kanji is slightly different for each: One helmet looks to be for a member of the 8th Squad, the other for the 16th Squad. The last two kanji at the bottom might be names/ranks - something to that effect. Takahama is probably for Takahama city in Aichi Prefecture, Japan.

Tom

Hi Jareth, Yeh I really like the range of unique styles in these helmets.

During my research, one model (pictured below) in particular appears to be most uniformed in design specifications (and the most commonly found in today’s market). These models have a range of markings depicting different Japanese counties, factories etc. and although they appear somewhat similar in design, I have found they were made in various materials - I have two of these that are almost identical to look at but one is made of iron and one in cast aluminium. Although various manufacturers certainly used distinct methods for the liners and chinstraps; I believe these helmets, at least initially, must have been manufactured from a central government design and I am surprised I have not found a more official designation for these other than 'homeland defence' helmet.

...And very interesting Tom! Many thanks for your help
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Identifying these Civil Style Helmets Please  

?

Yes that " squat" style is most common especially with donut liner of cheese cloth. So many different insignias can be found attached such as civic, fire, police, factory workers, guards, air aid wardens etc. Then there student, schools, university, youth groups etc. all have their own unique insignias. Only insignias I'd be suspicious of would be type 90 stars or anchors. These have been added post war & common form of fakery