Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Identiyfing a sword

Article about: Hi guys, I'm hoping someone can provide me with some info about this particular sword, it's maker and owner. It was my Grandfather's sword he obtained whilst serving in the British Navy in W

?

Default Identiyfing a sword

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone can provide me with some info about this particular sword, it's maker and owner.

It was my Grandfather's sword he obtained whilst serving in the British Navy in WW2. I have no idea how to decipher the mei on the tang, or the writing on the surrender tag.

I believe it is an army gunto mount and the tsuba is mokko-gata shape. The blade itself is in pretty average condition it think given the nick out of it.

Any help is appreciated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160207_232417.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	217.6 KB 
ID:	933833Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160207_232443.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	211.7 KB 
ID:	933834Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160207_232523.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	933835Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160207_232543.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	211.9 KB 
ID:	933836Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160207_232818.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	209.4 KB 
ID:	933837Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160207_232832.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	216.0 KB 
ID:	933838Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20160207_233330.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	227.8 KB 
ID:	933839

Sword:
    濃州住小島勝正作
    Nōshū-ju Kojima Katsumasa Saku
    Made by Kojima Katsumasa, residing in Nōshū [modern Gifu Prefecture]

Tag:
    海軍板橋部隊
    Kaigun Itabashi Butai
    Navy Itabashi Unit

上曹大村良一
    JōSō Omura Ryoichi
    Chief Petty Officer Omura Ryoichi

--Guy

?

Wow,

that was quick!

Thanks very much!

Doing some quick research on swords of this time and this particular smith would indicate that it was most likely partially handmade and not in the traditional method?

I haven't seen many pictures of similar swords of the era with a cast iron tsuba? most appear to be the brass type?

The pictures and condition of the blade make it impossible to judge the manner in which the blade was manufactured. Som officers opted to mount an older iron tsuba on their military sword so it is not unusual. The tsuba is not cast but hand forged.
    Welcome to the forum.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Cool.

Well I'm much further ahead on my knowledge with this sword than I was at the start of the day!

Thanks!
    Dave

It's unusual to have a naval officer name on an army gunto. How did it happend? SNLF officier or something else?

I would be interested in your opinions if you don't mind to share your mind.

Quote by Staldion View Post
    It's unusual to have a naval officer name on an army gunto. How did it happend? SNLF officier or something else?

I would be interested in your opinions if you don't mind to share your mind.
    I have encountered several army style mounts with naval officer tassles. I even found one Minatagawa Jinga blade in army mounts. As you may know, blades made at the jinga were for the navy. It is likely that some officers had their mountings for combat swords altered as the standard navy mounting was not adequate for combat use.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Hello Bob, thank you for your answer. I only saw a couple of this kind on the internet. One of them has navy menuki on army style tsuka. Here just the black iron tsuba can reminds the navy style koshirae (but alot of army gunto have older tsuba so it could be a coïncidence too).

So in your opinion this choice of koshirae could be adopted by land based navy officer, not only landing forces officer?

Do you think it could have been a cheaper option too? Like the "Type 3" gunto for army officer (that ones may believed to be SNLF gunto until Nick Komiya's investigation)?

With all the stories about IJA vs IJN compétition and proudness I am always surprised when one of this sword surfaces. I wish I could see a Minatogawa jinja's masterpiece for real once in my life in any kind of mounting. Even in shirasaya I wouldn't complain about it!