MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

IJA combat helmet for review

Article about: Bought this helmet at an antiques shop; it was only marked \\$75.00; labeled wwii japanese helmet missing chin strap. The liner looks to be newer so may be fake; one of the liner rivets has di

Default IJA combat helmet for review

Bought this helmet at an antiques shop; it was only marked $75.00; labeled wwii japanese helmet missing chin strap. The liner looks to be newer so may be fake; one of the liner rivets has different pins compared to the other one so could be replacement. Is anything about the helmet correct or is this a civil turned into combat for sale? i photographed liner pins and star pins for review. The liner has a stamp on each flap. The kanji size symbol on rim. There are 4 small vent holes in top of helmet. Thanks for checking it out, Joe
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJA combat helmet for review   IJA combat helmet for review  

IJA combat helmet for review   IJA combat helmet for review  

IJA combat helmet for review  

It's a combat type 90 with what looks to me as original paint inside & out. Nice score for 75$

I agree with a good score. I do not like the star though, but still a good price for the pot. The liner and rivets are reproduction.
    John

?

I agree with above. Only shell is original. Repro star insignia & liner. Still, worth what you paid

thank you for comments. I see that the liner condition leads to not being original to helmet but when I compared to reproductions online this one is much higher quality. could it be an unissued original?
    the prongs on one rivet are narrow brass while the other one has wider steel that is rusted like liner loops. could one rivet be original? the star prongs are steel and look like age of helmet and star paint matches up well with overall look of helmet shell. could that be original afterall? is there a site I can go to that shows comparisons for the star? I took a gamble on it at $62 after discounts.

if I were to sell or trade helmet should I remove the questionable components or note that they may be repro?

Rod
    ?

Quote by josephc View Post
    I see that the liner condition leads to not being original to helmet but when I compared to reproductions online this one is much higher quality. could it be an unissued original?
    It's a repro, not an original liner AND the genius who installed it put it in back to front. The bogus parts add nothing to the helmet's value for a collector but maybe they would for a re-enactor. Regardless, you did well!