Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

IJA Type 90 Helmet

Article about: Taka-san. Nice helmet, I would agree with most posts here on the chin straps, I would think that if somebody was trying to fake them, they would do a better job, so I would not change them e

Default IJA Type 90 Helmet

Hi Guys,

Would like to share my recent find. Finally, an IJA Type 90 helmet.

It's a size large helmet with a Shouwa 19 (1944) dated pig skin liner. All three "Zabuton" (cushions) are included.

There is a green streak of paint on the helmet, and I'm not sure what's the real purpose, maybe for camouflage.

There is an interesting triangular symbol, a maker mark?

As for the chinstrap cord, could that be a field made? The black thread seems act as a equalizer, or stopper. (I thought it was a reproduction at first)

The previous owner was 岡田 (Okada).

Here are the photos:

IJA Type 90 Helmet IJA Type 90 Helmet

Regards,
    Taka

Nice all original helmet they are getting harder to find than good German ones not messed with good find. Love the way that paint has ran down the sides of it when painted. Textbook example. timothy

Thanks, Timothy-san.

So are the chin cords ok? Original field replacement?

Cheers!
    Taka

?

I have one but it is just a shell.
    That one is a beauty.
    Another one I would love to have in my collection!!!!!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Thank you for the kind comments, Phil-san.

Cheers!
    Taka

I am by no means an expert, Taka, but it seems all original to me. Congrats!

As you know, Japanese helmets were tied onto the wearer's head, not buckled-on like we see on most conventional helmets. Japanese chin straps were rather long to begin with... I have seen many that have been neatly hemmed, I assume that this was done based on the size of the wearer and so that the wearer didn't have a lot of extra chinstrap flapping around to get caught on things.

I have also seen many Japanese helmets with a streak of off-color paint around the outer brim. I've heard that this paint was applied to cover exposed metal/ damage to the original paint that was caused by the helmets being stacked for storage and shipment before being issued.

Here is my T90:
    IJA Type 90 Helmet

?

Hi Taka-san , that is a super type 90 shell and original emblem . The external paintwork is just how i would expect to see it with the swirl around the centre , it looks great with a nice liner . I do not like the chin strap , the weave of the material is not what i would expect to see . If you investigate the material and weave of the strap attachment that the kanji label is stitched to , this is how i would want the chin strap to be . If this is a field replacement i could not say . JMO
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

An awesome find, well done.
    I would love to have one.....

Cheers
    Nuno

?

That is like the ones I use to find in the 70s. Now a days they are rarely in that nice of condition.

Thanks Fellas !

Nice T90 Joe-san, would like to have one with a net as well. Yes, I just learned that the extra paint are for touch ups. I like the way this one touched up diagonally.

Cheers!
    Taka

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast