Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions please

Article about: I acquired my first Type 95 Shin Gunto. All statements I make are open for correction as I am learning, including the title. Nagoya Arsenal made with all metal tsuka with a single screw vs t

Default IJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions please

I acquired my first Type 95 Shin Gunto. All statements I make are open for correction as I am learning, including the title. Nagoya Arsenal made with all metal tsuka with a single screw vs two screws. It looks like someone tried to remove the screw on the tsuka while damaging it. The screw is appears to be staked by a center punch. Not sure if correct terminology and I am assuming correct to secure the screw in place. Flat iron tsuba without markings. There are no markings on the brass part (habaki?) at the top of the blade. What is the inspector marking to the left of the serial number? The scabbard is number matching with an inspector mark next to serial number and one on the tip of the scabbard (ishizuke, if this is correct for a machine made scabbard) The blade tip appears correct and has a couple of nicks in it. I would also like to thank Stu W and others for posting information on these swords. I viewed many threads and hopefully made a good choice on this one as a good example. All opinions or corrections are appreciated.
    John

IJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions pleaseIJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions pleaseIJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions pleaseIJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions pleaseIJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions pleaseIJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions pleaseIJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions pleaseIJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions pleaseIJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions pleaseIJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions pleaseIJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions pleaseIJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions please

John, the sword looks good, matching numbers with a lot of paint left on the handle. The Saya looks to have some rust due to poor storage but over all you did very well.

Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

Nice one John,Careful.... they tend to multiply!

Regards,Geoff

MAP
    ?

A nice clean example!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Very Nice!!

Semper Fi
    Phil

?

Near the number in the blade you can see the engrave of the Nagoya department of control, this is present in the Arisaka Rifle too

IJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions please

Thank you for the replies. Would I be correct dating this to 1944 and is there any way to define the date to a month?
    My wallet needs to multiply before these can multiply in my collection.
    John

There is no way to pin a date down with Type 95s. The serial numbers were divided into blocks and given to the Arsenal’s. Stu or Shamsy might give you a date range, but a month isn’t possible. My gut says this would fall into a mid-war timeframe, so ‘41-‘42ish.

You are correct about the punch mark on the tsuka screw designed to keep the nut from wiggling loose. There is a second barrel screw at the end of the tsuka where the tassel ring is. Both screws must be removed to remove the handle. But there’s nothing on NCO tangs (nakago) so not worth removing them.

I found a couple more inspector markings. One on the koiguchi and on the seppa. They were difficult to get a good photo for me.
    John

IJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions pleaseIJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions please

Interesting! The one on the seppa is too out of focus to make out, but the one on the saya latching point is unique. My first thought was it was simply hammer dinks from manufactur, but it looks intentional. It’s not an inspector mark, at least not anything known. Hopefully Shamsy or Stegel can enlighten us!

You do have another Nagoya inspection mark on the drag
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture IJA Type 95 NCO Shin Gunto opinions please  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast