Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

IJA Type 95 NCO Sword Info

Article about: Hi Guys (and maybe gals?), A couple years ago I wrote a short note on another forum for a few fellows who were each interested in purchasing a single example of an IJA Type 95 NCO sword. Pri

?

Default Re: IJA Type 95 NCO Sword Info

Last but not least are the three Arsenal Identification stamps.IJA Type 95 NCO Sword InfoIJA Type 95 NCO Sword InfoIJA Type 95 NCO Sword Info

?

OK, that's it for now. Photos of early copper tsuka and late wood tsuka versions will follow in due course.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Hi Stu , and welcome to the forum . Thank you for a really well put together , informative thread , enjoyable to peruse and easy to digest
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Thread needs to be pinned.

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Thread needs to be pinned.
    My thoughts also and it is now done.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Thanks for the info Stu, I can't wait to look closer at mine and use your info. I do have another question, are there records of who these were issued to? Mine came with a Nambu captured from Truk Island.

Thanks
    Burt

?

Hello Burt,

You are quite welcome.

As the NCO swords were issued, as opposed to private purchase, I'm sure there was some sort of record keeping, even if only at the Company level but I've never heard of any such records surviving. Nor have I come across an NCO sword with a surrender tag. Given the military hierarchy of the period I suspect that Field grade (and possibly some Company grade) officers gave up their swords with surrender tags attached whereas the mass produced NCO swords were probably thrown onto a pile awaiting local destruction.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Hi Folks,

The first of these two photos depicts examples of the first run copper tsuka Type 95 sword. Note the deep reddish brown color of the tsuka and the lack of a retaining bolt that is found in the aluminium tsuka versions that followed. Clearly different from the brass tsuka reproductions we come across today.

The second photo is of the scabbard tip. Note the rounded end as opposed to the subsequent versions with fin shaped drags.

Regards,
    Stu
    IJA Type 95 NCO Sword InfoIJA Type 95 NCO Sword Info
    Photo credit: Michael Downey collection.

Quote by Stu W View Post
    Hi Folks,

The first of these two photos depicts examples of the first run copper tsuka Type 95 sword. Note the deep reddish brown color of the tsuka and the lack of a retaining bolt that is found in the aluminium tsuka versions that followed. Clearly different from the brass tsuka reproductions we come across today.

The second photo is of the scabbard tip. Note the rounded end as opposed to the subsequent versions with fin shaped drags.

Regards,
    Stu
    IJA Type 95 NCO Sword InfoIJA Type 95 NCO Sword Info
    Photo credit: Michael Downey collection.
    Stu, I'm curious. These mass produced blades all have serial numbers stamped into them. We're all mass produced blades stamped? I'm trying to find out more about my naval Kai Gunto sword. It has no stamp and I'm crossing my fingered that it is not a stamped blade.

Thanks

?

Mass produced machine made NCO blades were all serial numbered. Mass produced blades not fully machine made were not serial numbered. Examples would be both Shin and Kai-gunto.

If you would like to learn more about your Kai- gunto please start a thread and let us have a look at it. If there are any kanji or stamping on the tang please photo them with the tip of the sword upright so that they can be read from top to bottom.

Looking forward to seeing your sword.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast