Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

IJN SNLF Helmet with Early 1st Pattern Cover.

Article about: Dear fellow Japanese Military enthusiasts, 2016 was for me the year of the Japanese helmet, I sort of became addicted to them. Here is a Japanese Navy SNLF helmet with an early pattern cover

Default IJN NLF Helmet with Early 1st Pattern Cover.

Dear fellow Japanese Military enthusiasts,

2016 was for me the year of the Japanese helmet, I sort of became addicted to them.

Here is an early Japanese Navy NLF helmet with an early pattern cover that may or may not have been used by the SNLF. I will first let the pictures do their thing, but there are a few questions I would like to put to our valued Japanese helmet experts.

The helmet was made at the Kobe Steel works as indicated by the 'S' in the Diamond.

Helmet with Cover.

Helmet without Cover.

Inside the Cover.

The Liner System.

Rivets.

My questions -

The badge is magnetic and I think being an early model, it should be made of 'Nickle' - is there a way to tell the difference between Nickle and Steel badges?

The helmet is stamped as 'Small' - very unusual for a Navy helmet, indicating it is probably a very early model. - any thoughts?

Any help with the writing on both the inside and outside of the liner or on the inside of the dome, would be much appreciated.

Thank you for viewing, your time and opinions.

Merry Christmas.

Neil
    Last edited by Heer 17; 12-29-2016 at 08:20 AM.

Chalk:

Ike~...
    [ee-kay]
    Part of a surname, meaning pond.

Helmet liner padding pocket:
    宇賀
    Uga
    Surname

Helmet pad:
    一小[隊]
    Isshō[tai]
    1st Platoon

中村勇
    Nakamura Isamu

Cheers!
    --Guy

Guy,
    Thank you very much for your time with the translations. Much appreciated. Was it normal to have multiple names on these helmets?
    Neil

Hello Neil-
    Jareth could probably speak to this better than me, however, it is my understanding that multiple names in the helmets would not be out of the ordinary. Sometimes you will see names painted out/partially obliterated as new ones were added. It is more likely to simply see new ones added to the helmet, revealing different owners over time. I have examined helmets that have different names painted inside the helmet flange utilizing the same color of paint as well as different colors of paint (primarily white, black, blue or red). Along with the different painted names on the inside flange, you will sometimes see a single painted name and then a different name in black ink on one of the helmet pads. I have also seen this and then another name hand stitched with thread on one of the chin ties. It appears that helmets were often re-issued or were re-cycled at different times to new owners throughout the war.

MichaelB

Michael,

Thankyou for your comments. The helmet goes nicely with the Hinomaru Flag I purchased from you.

Neil

MAP
    ?

Wow! Very nice set!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

?

Great set! Yes, multiple names can be found on numerous Japanese items. Equipment was reissued so it's not unusual. Congrats!

?

Wow! This is just a stunning helmet and cover set!

Regards

Russ

Where can I read up on the theory that Navy helmets were only made in large sizes after a certain point? Is it in a book or some forum? It sounds like a preposterous old wive's tale to me, but I'd like to know how that conclusion was reached. If it was simply speculation, based on the current scarcity of small sizes, that is just total nonsense.
    Actual WW2 issue numbers show a near 50/50 issue ratio between small and large, so small was not scarce at all during the war itself.

Regarding reissue, like all assets in accounting, equipment including helmets had preset amortization periods. Within this period, each item was reissued multiple times. For instance, in the case of the army, things like blankets and back packs had the longest life on paper, so they could be issued a maximum of four times per item. That was why army items had 4 name columns.

Lastly, just like you can't call every German tropical item a DAK item, your helmet is a Navy Helmet unless markings identify the unit as SNLF. Furthermore SNLF and NLF are different beasts, so earning that S title through markings is another long shot altogether.

?

It is really nice to see this helmet with liner , chin strap and badge , along with the "Coup de Grace " the cover ! The ageing process has given it a great look . Complete examples such as this do not come up very often ...congrats on your find
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast