Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

I'm just a sword guy...

Article about: I was recently asked to assist with some additional information around a sword that was captured during WW2. I will not be able to get a good look at it until later (should get in hand in No

?

Default I'm just a sword guy...

I was recently asked to assist with some additional information around a sword that was captured during WW2. I will not be able to get a good look at it until later (should get in hand in November), but I got some photos. I'm pretty comfortable on that topic, but...

There was also a leather bag that was provided along with the sword. I really have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to identifying field equipment, but I know that the members here are amazingly knowledgeable, so please, if you can, any and all information would be appreciated.

The sword I have included in this post just because it is a 'set' from the same veteran who acquired the bag. Not to mention I thoroughly enjoy looking at the less usual swords that crop up from time to time.

The sword was acquired from Balik Papen and the bag Kure.

I'm just a sword guy...I'm just a sword guy...I'm just a sword guy...I'm just a sword guy...I'm just a sword guy...I'm just a sword guy...I'm just a sword guy...I'm just a sword guy...I'm just a sword guy...I'm just a sword guy...

Official map cases for officers were supposed to be in brown leather, not black, but it was a private purchase item, so black is not impossible. The metal star is a later addition. The star-shaped sewing line was the official insignia for the map case.

?

I suspect that repeated applications of leather dressing have darkened the leather to near black. The sword is interesting, and looks like a traditional katana that has been wartime fitted out and reenforced to take into the field. The nakago will confirm or rebut this theory. The set reminds me of this one below. (I forget where I got this from, so apologies if I use someones pics without crediting. Nowadays I tag pictures better so I know where they are from)
    I'm just a sword guy...

?

Dave, that's a page from Dawson's. I recognise it now, but had forgotten about it until your post. I agree with you on the assessment of the sword.
    Cheers mate

Thank you Nick for identifying the case; as always your specific knowledge of Japanese field gear amazes me. I'll confirm if the leather is age darkened or not.

?

Leather conditioner caused the bag to darken, but it was originally a light brown leather, as prescribed.

I got a little more information about the sword too. It was apparently one of two left behind in a compound. It also narrowly avoided the sea, because the soldiers did not think they would be allowed to keep Japanese items. It then dodged a second death when it was thrown into a rubbish heap during a house cleaning. It was rescued by the current owner who's brother/uncle had thrown it out. He then got the stories of where both items were obtained.