MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Imagination Runs Wild - Shin-gunto attributed to "Paratrooper"

Article about: Paratrooper it ain't. It's just one of the several Sarute designs. If an eagle design were a paratrooper's, what about other designs like the clamping hands Sarute, and the floral Sarute? Ca

Default Imagination Runs Wild - Shin-gunto attributed to "Paratrooper"

Paratrooper it ain't. It's just one of the several Sarute designs. If an eagle design were a paratrooper's, what about other designs like the clamping hands Sarute, and the floral Sarute? Call them the Peace trooper and the flower trooper? Nonsense! It's people's imagination running wild.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imagination Runs Wild - Shin-gunto attributed to "Paratrooper"   Imagination Runs Wild - Shin-gunto attributed to "Paratrooper"  

Sporter,

I agree there is no such thing as a "Paratrooper Sword", but I think what Dawson was saying was possesive "paratrooper's" sword. This was likely custom made FOR a paratrooper. It even has the emblem imprinted into the leather of the saya cover. He also states there is another like it in the "J. Ripley collection."

"Communication is a terrible thing."

Why would a paratrooper want his badge on an obscure place like the lanyard loop? Wouldn't it make more sense if it's on the pommel or the tsuba? And is the eagle really the Japanese paratooper's badge? I doubt it. The same imagination gave us the "Type 3" sword (pattern 1944), which now we know came way before the model year 1944.

Quote by Sporter90 View Post
    Why would a paratrooper want his badge on an obscure place like the lanyard loop? ...
    We like our jump wings wherever we can place them. When I lived in Japan I had my training sword wrapped so that jump wings were placed as menuki!

Wish I still had that sword. (^__^) I gave it away to somebody before leaving. If I were to do it again .... after winning the lottery (and buying whatever my wife wants), I'd have a handle wrapped with jump wings on the outside, air assault wings on the inside, and a ranger tab on the fuchi & kashira.

Haven't thought about a tsuba ..... yet.

--Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images Imagination Runs Wild - Shin-gunto attributed to "Paratrooper" 

Hopefully someone will chime in that knows what paratrooper badges look like.

Quote by Bruce Pennington View Post
    Hopefully someone will chime in that knows what paratrooper badges look like.
    Here's a bevo pattern from Griffin Militaria. Cf with the image from Fuller's book.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imagination Runs Wild - Shin-gunto attributed to "Paratrooper"   Imagination Runs Wild - Shin-gunto attributed to "Paratrooper"  

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    We like our jump wings wherever we can place them. When I lived in Japan I had my training sword wrapped so that jump wings were placed as menuki!

Wish I still had that sword. (^__^) I gave it away to somebody before leaving. If I were to do it again .... after winning the lottery (and buying whatever my wife wants), I'd have a handle wrapped with jump wings on the outside, air assault wings on the inside, and a ranger tab on the fuchi & kashira.

Haven't thought about a tsuba ..... yet.

--Guy
    Silver wings are on the chest ~ These are men the best ~ 100 men will test today ~ But only 3 will win the ~~~

I’m very ignarant on this topic. I know there are huge patch collectors that could tell us instantly. My google search only comes up with Naval paratroopers. This is their patch:
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imagination Runs Wild - Shin-gunto attributed to "Paratrooper"  

?

The bird is the golden kite. It's not 100% an indication of paratrooper use. Here is my riker mount with paratrooper insignias mixed in with navy ID tags etc
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Imagination Runs Wild - Shin-gunto attributed to "Paratrooper"  

Thanks Jareth! So none of them have those rays behind the kite. Hmmm.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast