Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Info on SNLF units?

Article about: Does anyone have any type of info on the 101st and 102d SNLF? Did they actually go operational? Were they actually assigned to a particular submarine? Any info would be much appreciated. Reg

Default Info on SNLF units?

Does anyone have any type of info on the 101st and 102d SNLF? Did they actually go operational? Were they actually assigned to a particular submarine? Any info would be much appreciated.
    Regards, Scott

Hello Razorback76,

I know this is an old post but I am a pretty new member. I have some info on Japanese Naval Ground Forces (including SNLF) from a US Navy intel booklet. If you Are interested I can e-mail you the scans I made.

If you don't mind Japanese sites, do a Google search on 呉鎮守府第101特別陸戦隊 and you will find a Wiki article as well as memoirs of vets from the unit, which you can click for translation. They were fully trained for specific infiltration missions and were on standby for deployment, but the green light never came. Vet memoirs discuss the training, the unit's special attire, etc.

Photo below is a 17-year old member of the unit meant as his Sterbebild taken from one of the memoirs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Info on SNLF units?  

?

I read they were trained in Tateyama and planned to travel by an I-400 submarine but that never happened as by late 1944 American destroyers created an impenetrable barrier in the Pacific for them. They were to be a special attack unit that would conduct night raids, burning down American barracks and aircraft. There was also plans of invading Los Angeles to attack America's manufacturing industry. Due to islands closer to the Japanese homeland being invaded, plans were continually shifted and ultimately they were disbanded before conducting any operations.

Quote by adachi View Post
    ...I read they were trained at Tateyama....
    The above photo was taken at Tateyama.
    〇〇〇〇 (十七才)館山にて
    山岡部隊

[I can’t see his name] (17 years old) At Tateyama
    Yamaoka Butai

— Guy

?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    The above photo was taken at Tateyama.
    〇〇〇〇 (十七才)館山にて
    山岡部隊

[I can’t see his name] (17 years old) At Tateyama
    Yamaoka Butai

— Guy
    Thank you for the translation. I need to learn more Japanese!

I found another photograph that's supposed to be some of the Yamaoka Butai again. They have interesting uniforms. Two appear to wear NLF "Rikusenfuku" uniforms, one on the far left seemingly wears paratrooper pants and on the bottom right a navy work uniform is being worn.

大房岬と山岡部隊 | Blog 安房国再発見

I see Ken/tsurugi Butai-In written on the left ... if that helps:
    剣部隊員
    Sword Group Members

The kanji for 剣 is a type of calligraphic shorthand — I’ve seen it written that way by my
    swordsmanship teacher.

— Guy

?

Thanks for that link Nick - it leads to several other aspects as well!

Regards

Russ

Quote by OldeSarge View Post
    Hello Razorback76,

I know this is an old post but I am a pretty new member. I have some info on Japanese Naval Ground Forces (including SNLF) from a US Navy intel booklet. If you Are interested I can e-mail you the scans I made.
    Greetings and welcome to the forum. Please if possible post them here to this thread so we can all see and use them. Thank you for your reply.

As shown in the last photo, they were "required" to wear non-military long hair, which stood out in the streets of Tateyama and got them in trouble with other members of the military, etc.