Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Information about sword please.

Article about: An interesting piece with a modern blade mounted in traditional samurai mountings. As Guy mentioned, the owner likely mounted it this way for use for martial arts practice. The tsuba is quit

?

Default Information about sword please.

Information about sword please.Information about sword please.Information about sword please.Information about sword please.Information about sword please.Information about sword please.Information about sword please.Information about sword please.Information about sword please.Information about sword please.Information about sword please.

?

The stamping is a Seki Arsenal inspector's mark so perhaps a mass produced semi machine made blade with some hand finishing. Guy will be along soon and tell us what the kanji have to say. I'll start working on them too.

Aside from "Information about sword please" can you tell us anything more about how you acquired the piece?

Regards,
    Stu

?

I picked it up at a gun show last week. The man I bought it from said the sword had a blade made for military use . That's about all I know about it.

?

Quote by BBMATT View Post
    I picked it up at a gun show last week. The man I bought it from said the sword had a blade made for military use . That's about all I know about it.
    OK, that makes sense to me. The blade possibly came out of a Type 98 Army Officer Shin-gunto. The mounts are civilian in nature and I suspect were married to the piece somewhere along the line after the war for display or perhaps martial arts use. Guy could comment on their suitability for martial arts use as he has a background in the use of the sword.

Regards,
    Stu

[] 濃州関住小島勝正作
    [seki] Noshu Seki Ju Kojima Katsumasa saku

--Guy

Quote by Stu W View Post
    ... Guy could comment on their suitability for martial arts use as he has a background in the use of the sword.
    If the scabbard and handle were specially made for this blade it would be very good for iaido. If the handle does not properly fit, it could be a hazard at worst, and uncomfortable at best; it even could work without knowing the difference.

The koshirae look nice for budo.

--Guy

?

Copied from a thread on NMB ...

"Kojima (Family name) Katsumasa (given smith name) was a Seki tosho in WWII. He was not of much note, but is listed in Slough's, "Modern Japanese Swordsmiths" on page 80."

Regards,
    Stu

?

I checked my volume and Slough comments that he made "Low to Medium Grade Showato. Your blade is just such a blade so it all fits. Not the hidden National Treasure we all seek at gun and militaria shows but collectible none the less.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Cool thank you for the info guys. What year do you think it was made?

?

Quote by BBMATT View Post
    Cool thank you for the info guys. What year do you think it was made?
    I can't recall for sure but believe I have read that stamp started to be used late in 1941. Perhaps Thomas (gunto) can confirm or correct that when he gets to this thread.

Regards,
    Stu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast