Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Information on Wakizashi please.

Article about: Recently obtained from Grandmother, she said it was Grandfather's Father's. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do know it is not in the greatest shape by no means, she didn't kn

?

Default Re: Information on Wakizashi please.

A few more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1840 (800x115).jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	186.7 KB 
ID:	501843

Name:	100_1842 (800x398).jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	501844

Name:	100_1845 (800x597).jpg 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	501845

Name:	100_1848 (800x242).jpg 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	501846

Quote by Badazz View Post
    Here we go, I tried a variation. Let me know if I need to try something else please. Looks to me the tang was altered, with the double hole is what I am referring to.

Attachment 501838
    Perhaps

友則

Tomonori see p 47 & 48, TOM149 ~ TOM168.

The keyhole-shaped hole could be original and is called "gourd-shape hole" 瓢箪穴 [Hyoutan-ana].

--Guy

?

That is confusing, thank you for the help you gave. So in other words, if that is the signature, it could be any one of the 7 generations?

Quote by Badazz View Post
    That is confusing, thank you for the help you gave. So in other words, if that is the signature, it could be any one of the 7 generations?
    Welcome to the world of Japanese swords! Yes, it is confusing -- which is why I say that I am not a knowledgeable person; I'm only giving a reading of the words. Sorry.

We need someone who has STUDIED the various swordmakers (like Bob Coleman) , and knows how to "read" the steel (and reference books).

Regards,
    --Guy

?

Hopefully we will hear from someone soon.

As one of my teachers Sensei John Yumoto used to say, "This is the name of a well known swordsmith. Unfortunately, he never saw this blade." The signature is cut poorly and is not that of any of the Tomonari. From the pictures, it is impossible to study the construction of this blade. Judgement however can be made from the signature. Evaluating Japanese swords is not done easily just from photographs. It is impossible to evaluate the work as each piece a swordmaker creates is different. I once spent a good deal of money on a well made 16th century sword. It had all of the proper characteristics of the man's work. The signature and finishing of the nakago also matched. Before buying it, I sent detailed rubbings of the signature to two professional appraisers I knew in Japan. Both agreed it was a valid signature. When I sent the blade to Japan, I was told by both men that it was a perfect fake made with old steel.
    Judging Japanese swords from pictures is totally different than judging other militaria. Flaws in the workmanship can only be seen in hand. All there is to judge from pictures is the signature.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Bob I really appreciate the time and patients you have taken to assist me on finding information on this item. The blade is in really bad shape as far as I am concerned, through the years im thinking everyone handled the blade not knowing what damage the oils from their fingers would do to it, I on the other hand try to educate myself before hand to know that carbon steel will do this if handled. I guess my next step would be to try and find the little knife that shared the scabbard with this one, maybe that would help us some. I am going to try and track down someone in Kansas City, Missouri to see if I can get any more information. I will keep everyone updated if new information is obtained.

What Bob is saying is: don't expend anymore money on this blade. I was curious about the signature as well, not because I'm knowledgeable ... but because it looked "punched" instead of chiseled. When Bob said "the signature is well known, but the smith never saw this blade," he means the signature is fake.

Sorry,
    --Guy

If you study the first charachter "Tomo," the second set of pictures clearly shows the vertical stroke going from high left to lower right was made by numerous small hits with the hammer and chisel. Small indentations can be seen where the stroke began and stopped. This is indicitive of someone who is not signing his own name. A genuine stroke would be hit firmly and likely in one stroke. A similar comparison can be made for an individual attempting to forge a signature with pen. An expert will also look for where the forger stopped and resumed copying the script.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

I still want to thank you all for helping me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12