Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Information on Wakizashi please.

Article about: Recently obtained from Grandmother, she said it was Grandfather's Father's. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do know it is not in the greatest shape by no means, she didn't kn

?

Default Information on Wakizashi please.

Recently obtained from Grandmother, she said it was Grandfather's Father's. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I do know it is not in the greatest shape by no means, she didn't know how to store it. From the tip to the Tsuba is 14.5 inches. Let me know if further images are needed to aid in knowing info such as age, maker if possible.

Default Re: Information on Wakizashi please.

Someone at one time polished the tsuba(sword guard), made it nice and shiny and removed 99% of the original finish. People too often want to make every thing shiny, even if they should not be. It looks as though there were two kanji painted on the nakago from your picture.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

What does that mean Bob? Painted where? What would the original finish be?

?

The symbols on the Tang you are referring to is not painted symbols, it is in the metal itself, no thanks to my photography.

The two character signature chiseled in to the tang is illegible from your picture. As to the tsuba, it originally had a finish called shakudo, which is a deep purple to black with inlaid brass highlights in the leaves. all of this is now gone. It was not a high quality guard so although damaged, it is not a high quality loss.
    BOB

?

I might be able to do a rubbing on the characters, and do you know approximately how old it could be, or anything else besides what damage has been done to it? I appreciate the help you are giving me, it is greatly appreciated many times over.

?

If you get an opportunity to post some nice close ups of the tang and blade , i'd like to see them .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

I certainly will, I am not home right now , but I will as soon as I arrive. Thank you Allen.

Quote by Badazz View Post
    I might be able to do a rubbing on the characters, and do you know approximately how old it could be, or anything else besides what damage has been done to it? I appreciate the help you are giving me, it is greatly appreciated many times over.
    If you can get a sharp image of the two character signature, I can probably help. The majority of the hirazukuri form wakizashi(flat sided)were made in the 16th century. Please remember in Japanese swords, age does not always equal value. If it was junk when it was made, it is now old junk.
    BOB

?

Here we go, I tried a variation. Let me know if I need to try something else please. Looks to me the tang was altered, with the double hole is what I am referring to.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast