Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Information on WWII Sword

Article about: Hello, I’m not sure why, exactly, but I’ve recently felt the need to share/seek information about this sword. I’ve only just begun to do any research about the sword, just enough to learn so

?

Default Information on WWII Sword

Hello,
    I’m not sure why, exactly, but I’ve recently felt the need to share/seek information about this sword. I’ve only just begun to do any research about the sword, just enough to learn some terminology. I’ll share a little of what I know and post some photographs, and would appreciate your thoughts about the sword and any advice on its value (for insurance), the quality of the blade, and how to preserve it for future generations in our family.
    My Grandfather came into possession of this sword, along with a Type 14 Nambu pistol, on May 27, 1944 on Biak in New Guinea. He was the Company Commander, E Company, 542d Engineer Boat and Shore Regiment, 2ESB. He was awarded the Silver Star for his actions on that day.
    Obviously there is some damage to the Fuchi, Tsuba, and Seppa. I intend to leave as is. I am wondering, however, if replacements can be obtained? Also, the Mekugi is missing. Can I purchase replacements? Is that necessary?
    Thanks in advance for any answers,
    Don
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Information on WWII Sword   Information on WWII Sword  

Information on WWII Sword   Information on WWII Sword  

Default Re: Information on WWII Sword

Hello Don and welcome to the forum!
    You have a WW II Japanese officer's sword. There are some members here that will be able to help you find out more about it. Clearer photos will be necessary to determine the extent of the damage. If you are able to, remove the handle and fittings keeping them in order for re-assembly. Take photos of the damage. If you find any markings on the tang of the blade, dust them with flour and take some clear photos of them holding the blade point up toward the ceiling. If you need close-ups and your camera will not focus, take them from as close as you can and them crop and resize them to post. You will achieve better detailed photos.
    A new meguki can be made from a bamboo chopstick.
    My sword has been posted here,
    My small Japanese collection.
    Hope this helps,
    Ralph.
    Last edited by rbminis; 01-19-2013 at 11:36 PM.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Hi Don-
    I also wish to welcome you to the Forum. Japanese sword seppa are hand fit to te blade so it will be difficult to obtain ones that will fit perfectly. You also will need to find ones where the hole for the latch spring line up. The mekugi or handle pin can be replaced if you want with wood from a good pair of chopsticks. Judging by the very generic habaki or collar between the cutting edge and the tsuba, your blade is most likely a war time factory production piece. Good pictures of the tang will verify that information. A nice Japanese Imperial Army junior officer's sword. The tassle reflects rank of 2nd Lt. thru Captain.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Hi Don , firstly , i would also like to welcome you to the forum and secondly what a fantastic family heirloom you have ! I love these bring back swords and of course it is accompanies the wonderful military history of your Grandfather and i am glad it will stay in the family . Personally , i would leave it as it is , but parts can be found ! Insurance wise , probably $1200 / $1500 maybe more because the provenance is worth a premium ! Ralph and Bob have covered the sword description for you .
    As an aside , i am in possession of a hinomaru flag from a 2ESB vet. he has written the details of his unit on it , he was in the 1459th Engineer Maintenance Co.
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Thank you all for the quick responses. The damage to the Fuchi, Tsuba, and Seppa are from, I believe, a bullet. How it didn't do more damage to the handle I'll never know. I'll take some better photos of that damage. In part because of a that damage, but mostly due to my complete lack of knowledge, I am a bit leery of trying to remove the handle from the blade. I don't want to do any additional harm to the piece. What are your thoughts on removing the handle?

As I said, I don't want to do any additional harm to the piece, but what can/should I do to protect and preserve it? Any thing special I should do to preserve the handle?

Alan, I am not familiar with a hinomaru flag, what is that? I'd love to know more about it. Perhaps you've found this already, but there is a website with a written history of the 2ESB during the war. The writing is not exactly PC for today, but it appears to be pretty comprehensive. It is 2ESB.org if you're interested.

Thanks again,
    Don

?

Hi Don , as the mekugi has already been removed i doubt that any more damage will be done than is already there , try gently easing it off with a backwards and forwards movement , obviously cover the blade to save any accidents . Not much maintenance is reqd. , i would things as untouched as possible , leave the Tsuka ( handle ) as it is and a light coat of wd40 wiped off will be sufficient for the blade .

A Hinomaru flag is the Japanese National flag , it has a red sun disc on a white background

http://web-japan.org/factsheet/en/pdf/e11_flag.pdf

I have visited the 2 ESB .org website many times
    Last edited by Alan M; 12-29-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Al,

I've not heard/seen the name for the Japanese National Flag before. Thanks for the new learning .

Don