Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Interesting Japanese Album Photos with Captions

Article about: Hello everyone, I have several album photos that I hope to learn more about. Does anyone recognize the unit indicated by the armbands that many of the the soldiers are wearing? The group of

?

Default Interesting Japanese Album Photos with Captions

Hello everyone,

I have several album photos that I hope to learn more about. Does anyone recognize the unit indicated by the armbands that many of the the soldiers are wearing? The group of soldiers appear to be abroad a train car and many of the photos (that I will post later) appear to be around train depots with soldiers wearing the same insignia. Could the soldiers be part of a transportation outfit, or is it just their place of departure? Also, I didn't know if anyone recognizes the building in the background of one of the photos. I've seen that emblem at the entrance before but can't place it. Nick, Guy, and Tom any insight and translations that you would be willing to provide would be greatly appreciated.

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Japanese Album Photos with Captions   Interesting Japanese Album Photos with Captions  

Interesting Japanese Album Photos with Captions  

?

Nice photos. Can't offer much other than making note that one of the "pillars" that the two officers are standing in front of states "Kurume City", located in Fukuoka Prefecture, Kyushu. The 12th and 18th Divisions were from there and already created at the time of this album (boat pic. dated 1938 at Moji), so they are a possibility. The meaning of the armbands would cut right to the heart of the matter, but their meaning eludes me. Any possible unit related markings on the cover of the photo album?

Tom

First image:

柴田少尉撮影
    Shibata shōi satsuei
    2nd LT Shibata photographing

高橋少尉
    Takahashi shōi
    2LT Takahashi

大内少尉
    Ōuchi shōi
    2LT O'uchi
    [no, he's not Irish; I placed an appostrophe there so you wouldn't say "ouchie"]

?

Thanks Guy and Tom....I appreciate it!

Unfortunately, Tom these are pages from an album. I don't have the complete album. I've attached other photos that may be of interest......still see those mysterious unit (?) armbands.

?

Default Additional Pics Japanese Album

Here are a few additional photos of interest. I think the signing of the good luck flag is especially neat. The unit (?) armband is still a mystery!

Tom
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Interesting Japanese Album Photos with Captions   Interesting Japanese Album Photos with Captions  

Interesting Japanese Album Photos with Captions   Interesting Japanese Album Photos with Captions  

?

Interesting. There is a tank unit notation on one of the group pics. I believe that the symbol on the armband can also be found as a sleeve badge that sometimes pops up. Like those specialty badges for farriers, dog handlers, etc. I don't recall where it might be pictured, maybe in Nakata's original book?

Tom

?

Thanks for the information and insight Tom.

T.

?

Quote by hftiii View Post
    I have several album photos that I hope to learn more about. Does anyone recognize the unit indicated by the armbands that many of the the soldiers are wearing?
    These are railway commandant's office [kommandatura] armbands.

The two 2nd Lieutenants look quite old for the rank. I wonder if they were re-activated?
    Last edited by Sporter90; 11-09-2017 at 05:08 AM.

?

Thanks guys for the information and comments. Like I mentioned, the settings in many of the photos seem to be in railyards and stations, and some of the depots have names posted. I'll post these in the next few days.

Tom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast