Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Jap flag, finally here

Article about: Hi, my jap flag has finally arrived at her new home where she will stay for the rest of her life. it took about 1 month and some trouble with customs, its made of silk and because of the fla

Default Jap flag, finally here

Hi, my jap flag has finally arrived at her new home where she will stay for the rest of her life. it took about 1 month and some trouble with customs, its made of silk and because of the flash it looks a lot more white than it really is, its very dirty.
    Enjoy.
    Cheers.
    Nuno
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Jap flag, finally here   Jap flag, finally here  

Jap flag, finally here   Jap flag, finally here  

Default Re: Jap flag, finally here

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Jap flag, finally here   Jap flag, finally here  

?

Hi Nuno , it`s been well worth the wait , you have a smashing example in super condition
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks mate, glad to ear thatshe is absolutely fantastic
    Cheers.
    Nuno

?

Hi NUNO, Well it looks nice, but i haver a couple of issues which you might be able to answer, the flag has obviously been cut from a roll as there are two selvedges down the sides, and where its been cut they have stitched along the frayed edges however the turnovers look to be only once instead of twice which i think should be the norm, remember that the japanese were excellent silk workers , also there appears to be two different types of leather used on the corner tabs and not very well done, especially as the stitching appears to miss the flag edge on one and goes off centre on the other in fact they have had to stop and leave alone without securing the last stitch, perhaps you could measure the distances from the outside edges of the red sun to the selvedges as there appears to an offset rising sun, i have owned two original flags, one like yours and a battleflag with inscriptions and there appears to be a lot of differences on yours as opposed to mine that were very well manufactured. If this is genuine then it might be that standards were slipping throughout the war, and materials were becoming lower grade and perhaps workmanship was suffering, You could perform a burn test on a thread from the frayed edge and also from the securing tapes, I hope all goes well

?

Hi Nuno , your flag is fine and original . Some of these flags were shop bought " off the shelf " items for the more well off , therefore the quality of finish would be much higher , but many villagers and poorer people bought lengths of silk and made these flags up at home , the seams on your flag have been hand stitched which is no mean feat when you can see the stitches are less than an eighth of an inch in length , with silk not being the easiest material to handle. I have several flags with leather corner tabs similar to yours and i have even seen them made of cardboard . I must say i much prefer these more personally manufactured examples
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks for all the replys, i must admit Alan, corner tabs made of cardboard, that must be a fantastic sight.
    Cheers.
    Nuno