Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese 300 year old sword help WW2 vetbringback

Article about: I need some help on this possible buy... not sure if it is real or modern. Has wooden handle and sheath? I unfamiliar...

?

Default Japanese 300 year old sword help WW2 vetbringback

I need some help on this possible buy... not sure if it is real or modern. Has wooden handle and sheath? I unfamiliar...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese 300 year old sword help WW2 vetbringback   Japanese 300 year old sword help WW2 vetbringback  

Japanese 300 year old sword help WW2 vetbringback   Japanese 300 year old sword help WW2 vetbringback  

Japanese 300 year old sword help WW2 vetbringback   Japanese 300 year old sword help WW2 vetbringback  

?

The swords were placed in all wooden scabbard and handle when they were being stored prior to mounting?

Yes, that is a 白鞘 shira-saya [white sheath; aka "resting sheath"].

The kanji are too faint for me to read, although I can make out on one side:

and on the other side:
    。。。前住

--Guy

I agree with Guy. With faint kanji, it is more difficult when you post the tang sideways. Please read this sticky: When Posting Japanese Sword Tangs For Translation
    Last edited by rbminis; 01-21-2017 at 07:14 AM.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

Unfortunately I do not have item on hand but was provided these pictures... otherwise I would have made better pics. This might be something I pick... so if it appears original and so forth... what is a estimate value? So I do not overpay? Guesstimate? Thanks

What is he asking?
    The forum is nor an appraisal service so a value will not be given, but more information will help in telling you if you overpay. I wish you luck with the sword Japanese sword are a joy to care for.
    Marty
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

?

So far the price is at about 1k... what is the differ between a 300 year old heirloom and the Army officer sword?

Quote by fbeaty View Post
    So far the price is at about 1k... what is the differ between a 300 year old heirloom and the Army officer sword?
    The value and difference depends on things like the quality of the blade, the fame of lack there-of of the smith, sometimes the quality of the fittings. Seems odd, but the age of the blade quite often does not affect the price. I've got a 400-600 yr old blade in Navy fittings, but it's not in good shape, not signed, and was made during a warring period when blades were being mass produced just to get large numbers of weapons in the field. So it's not worth as much as a beautifyl Shrine-made blade during WWII.

But then again, another factor is the collector himself. If you, as a collector, see something you've been wanting - the price is whatever you are willing to pay. I paid $2,400 for my old blade, too much, but it had a sharkskin covered saya, and a Fuji family mon - all something I wanted. So, I paid the price.

I have a real nice war time blade that I paid 1000.00 and I have a blade forged in 1595 in really nice condition that I only paid 800.00. For the old blade it is condition and the smith.
    Fortune favors the brave 644th td

If the seller is claiming the sword is 300 years old, that normally means he had the mei read ( which no one here could read ) and identified the smith. Ask him what the mei says, then the sword guys can tell you whether that makes sense. Of course, it is always easier to read things like this when you know what it is supposed to say.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast