Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

JAPANESE 81mm Mortar Lamp w. handpainted Ships Shade

Article about: JAPANESE 81mm Mortar Lamp w. handpainted Ships Shade This lamp was obtained from a WWII US Seabee. He found the mortar round on the Pacific island of ULITHI, had it disarmed, and made into t

RTFREY
    ?

Arrow JAPANESE 81mm Mortar Lamp w. handpainted Ships Shade

This lamp was obtained from a WWII US Seabee. He found the mortar round on the Pacific island of ULITHI, had it disarmed, and made into this lamp.

Another interesting feature is the HANDPAINTED shade which shows his ship, the USS HECTOR.

The mortar round is a Japanese Type 100.

Due to the degrading of the original lamp wiring it has been rewired, otherwise it is in overall Excellent condition.

A unique piece with a provenance

from my personal collection
    regards,
    Bob Frey
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture JAPANESE 81mm Mortar Lamp w. handpainted Ships Shade   JAPANESE 81mm Mortar Lamp w. handpainted Ships Shade  

appie
    ?

Default Re: JAPANESE 81mm Mortar Lamp w. handpainted Ships Shade

Thats funny; I came across a "mortar lamp" last month too! Mine turned out to be a French mortar, and I took it apart so it is no longer a lamp.

RTFREY
    ?

Quote by appie View Post
    Thats funny; I came across a "mortar lamp" last month too! Mine turned out to be a French mortar, and I took it apart so it is no longer a lamp.
    Mortar ammunition makes an ideal basis for a lamp, and it is relatively easy to make one.

Once you have the material, [ wire, switch,lamp base for the mortar round, lamp socket, and the fixture for a shade, you can turn one out in a short time.

An easy project for your SPECIAL room.

You can also sell them at militaria shows.
    regards,
    Bob Frey

Quelin
    ?

Quote by RTFREY View Post

This lamp was obtained from a WWII US Seabee. He found the mortar round on the Pacific island of ULITHI, had it disarmed, and made into this lamp.

Another interesting feature is the HANDPAINTED shade which shows his ship, the USS HECTOR.

The mortar round is a Japanese Type 100.

Due to the degrading of the original lamp wiring it has been rewired, otherwise it is in overall Excellent condition.

A unique piece with a provenance

from my personal collection
    regards,
    Bob Frey

I know this post is over a year old, but either that guy made two, your story is incorrect, or lots of people had the same idea. None the less, I would love to learn more about the origin of these lamps. They are quite a sight.

What really strikes me about the lamp is the chrysanthemum crest on the plug. I wouldn't figure the plug would be a chrysanthemum if it was made post-war or by a non-Japanese person.

Here is mine
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture JAPANESE 81mm Mortar Lamp w. handpainted Ships Shade  

?

Hi Bob , what a great idea , the lamp looks great and the hand painting of the USS Hector on the shade is a nice touch, very nice
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

I love that lamp, when i was in the army (1984-85) i was a M106 commander, we used the 4.2" US mortar (mine was dated 1944) mounted inside the M106.
    Dutch Cavalry, Recon Bat. 103 in Seedorf Germany.
    we also used a barrel of 81mm ( could be placed inside the 4.2. barrel) and fired a lot of old surplus US WW2 Flare amo.
    Mainly supported the main battletank in night training.......we had a lot of fun with that old WW2 amo.
    M106 Mortar Carrier