Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Army Officers Sword

Article about: Brought back from a cousin of mine in ww2 and was given to my father 25yrs ago. I've had it for a while thought I would post some pics. A little rust pitting toward the front half. Ive never

Default Japanese Army Officers Sword

Japanese Army Officers SwordJapanese Army Officers SwordJapanese Army Officers SwordJapanese Army Officers SwordJapanese Army Officers SwordJapanese Army Officers SwordJapanese Army Officers SwordJapanese Army Officers SwordBrought back from a cousin of mine in ww2 and was given to my father 25yrs ago. I've had it for a while thought I would post some pics. A little rust pitting toward the front half. Ive never removed the Tsuka(Handle) and dont care to either Its one that will stay with me till Im am not breathing anymore. It has a taperd pin that screws in on the handle most are bamboo as most of you know that Im sure.

ERIC

Default re: Japanese Army Officers Sword

This is the standard 1944 pattern Imperial Japanese Army officer's sword with a machine made blade. A nice example of this form of sword. An aside which I do not intend to be a movement for political correctness. The term "Jap" is considered by Japanese and those of Japanese descent to be equivilent to the "N" word. It was used on the West Coast many years before the war as a negative degredation. I know that many collectors are unaware of this and do not mean to insult. Please take my comments as being only educational.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Default Re: Japanese Army Officers Sword

Don't get rid of that screw! The Type-3 hilts are supposed to have them, unlike the earlier gunto, whose hilts were indeed retained by a peg. If you look thru the hole you'll see the threaded piece on the other side. Pulling off the hilt is no big deal, just take it easy and remember to check for the second[upper] pin before you start. Jim

The term "Jap" is considered by Japanese and those of Japanese descent to be equivilent to the "N" word.
    You know I never thought of It that way but I can see what you mean I will never refer to that term futher thanks for the insight Bob. And thanks for the kind words Sir.

ERIC
    Last edited by Eric Zentner; 03-09-2011 at 04:30 AM. Reason: spell

Quote by guntojim View Post
    Don't get rid of that screw! The Type-3 hilts are supposed to have them, unlike the earlier gunto, whose hilts were indeed retained by a peg. If you look thru the hole you'll see the threaded piece on the other side. Pulling off the hilt is no big deal, just take it easy and remember to check for the second[upper] pin before you start. Jim
    I just took it out to show. It screws in good and tight and so It will stay.

?

Eric great sword. It is even better knowing that a family member brought it back. Gary

Very nice sword Eric,great item even better coming from a family menber that was there.
    Chris

?

Eric , thanks for showing your heirloom , it`s a very nice example , and Bob , thanks for reminding folks on how we like the threads to be presented on this forum , i`m sure no offence was intended and the title has now been edited
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...