Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Award or Commemorative?

Article about: Anyone have an idea what this is or what it says? Howard Dennis

Default Japanese Award or Commemorative?

Anyone have an idea what this is or what it says?

Howard DennisJapanese Award or Commemorative?Japanese Award or Commemorative?Japanese Award or Commemorative?Japanese Award or Commemorative?

Default Re: Japanese Award or Commemorative?

I think it's a prototype 'Nifty Nabber' telescopic magnetic pick up tool produced post war by the Mitsubishi Lightweight Lifting Co.

But it may be a presentation model cannon as well. Better wait for other replies.

Regards, Ned.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Default 此一戦 : The Next Battle

I'm guessing this has to do with the publication of a book called "The Next Battle" which was about the Battle of Tsushima Strait in 1904. Apparently the book was controversial.

『此一戦』
    明治44年(1911年)に博文館より刊行。日本海海戦を描いたルポルタージュ。
    明治38年(1905年)5月27日、東郷平八郎司令長官率いる連合艦隊は、当時無敵の艦隊として世界に名 を轟かせたロシア・バルチック艦隊を日本海に迎え撃った。海軍大尉として従軍した水野は、日露両艦隊の戦力 比較から丁字戦法、後に東郷ターンと言われた奇跡の敵前大回頭など、日本海海戦の実像を臨場感をもって記し た。また戦闘の合間にある士官・兵卒の会話、バルチック艦隊の大遠征、秋山真之が敵艦に乗艦し降伏を受け入 れる緊迫した場面などが克明に描かれている。
    なお、『此一戦』が無許可出版であったので処罰されたとする評論がいくつかあるが、これは2作目の『次の一 戦』の時のことである。『此一戦』は許可を受けての刊行であり、許可を得る際に当局の意を受けて海軍充実の 意見を加筆しているし、東郷らの題字や加藤友三郎らの序文が掲載されてもいる。
    ======
    Google Translate:
    The Next Battle Published by Hirofumi Kan 1911 in (1911). Reportage depicting the Battle of Tsushima.
    May 27th 1905, combined fleet led by Admiral Togo Heihachiro was dispatched to the Sea of ​​Japan to the Russian Baltic Fleet, which resound the name to the world as a fleet of invincible at that time. Mizuno who served as a Navy Captain, wrote with a sense of reality, such as in the presence of the enemy big time head of the miracle that was said to Togo turn clove tactics [English: "Crossing the T"], after the strength comparison of Japan and Russia both fleet, a real image of the Battle of Tsushima. The scene and tense accept the surrender of the conversation, private officer in between combat, large expedition of the Baltic Fleet, Masayuki Akiyama is aboard the enemy ship is drawn scrupulously.
    In addition, there are some critics that to have been punished The Next Battle was so unauthorized publication, which is that at the time of The Next Battle his second. The Next Battle is a publication of the permission, you are retouched the opinions of naval enhancement in response to the will of the authorities in obtaining permission, and preface of Kato Yuzaburo from and masthead of Togo et al is published they also.
    --Guy

Default Re: 此一戦 : The Next Battle

I found one on Japanese E-bay described as:

【金属工芸】三笠保存会 船材 此一戦 艦砲 置物
    [metal crafts] Mikasa Preservation Society; ship material; "The Next Battle" Ship cannon figurine.

EDIT: I found what look like a set of metal chopsticks [257mm in length] with "The Next Battle" - "Ship Material" - "Mikasa Preservation Society." The blurb stated that items like swords and keepsakes were made from the Mikasa's gun tubes. Did I understand that correctly?

source

--Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 07-12-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Added Second Image

Quote by big ned View Post
    I think it's a prototype 'Nifty Nabber' telescopic magnetic pick up tool produced post war by the Mitsubishi Lightweight Lifting Co.

I like your humo[u]r!

--Guy

Bottom left: 三笠保存会 [Mikasa Houzon Kai] Mikasa Preservation Society
    Bottom right: 船材 [fune-zai] Ship material

--Guy

Thanks a million guys that really helps. Does anyone know what the kanji say across from the mon?Japanese Award or Commemorative?

Howard Dennis

Quote by hddennis View Post
    Thanks a million guys that really helps. Does anyone know what the kanji say across from the mon?Japanese Award or Commemorative?

Howard Dennis
    Yes: "The Next Battle"
    此一戦

Then there is some sort of mark which I cannot clearly make out.

I found an amazon comment which gives the English title as "This One Battle":
    日本海海戦に連合艦隊第41号水雷艇長として従軍した水野広徳大尉が戦後6年目に出版した日露戦争ルポ。陸 軍の「肉弾」と並ぶ双璧といえる。英訳タイトルThis One Battle。バルチック艦隊のリバウ軍港出発から筆を起こし、約半年後の明治38年5月27日の対馬海峡 沖ノ島沖の決戦、敵前直角大回頭の東郷ターンによる完全勝利、翌日の竹島、松島沖などの残敵掃蕩の詳しい描 写を経て、勝因の分析、戦後の覚悟を説く。「肉弾」同様漢文調の格調高い美文であるが難解な語句には訳が挿 入され読みやすい。圧巻はやはり戦闘経過の詳細である。「神話的奇跡」とも謂える戦捷が詳述され、戦闘酣わ の午後2時半頃、配置を死守する兵士の訴えで「甲板放尿勝手次第」の珍号令が出たなど実戦現場の真実が多く 紹介され、執筆の意図通り、「帝国海軍軍人が、死生の間に立って、如何に沈着勇敢に戦いしかを国民に紹介し 、国に殉じたる英名を不朽に伝える」記録となっている。旗艦スワロフの善戦を称え、ネボガトフ少将降伏に対 する公正な意見(人命尊重への賞賛と軍規違反への批判)など冷静な視点を失わない。鳩山首相や護憲派に読ま せたい本である。曰く「強兵とは徒に勇を恃んで戦を好むを云うのではない。国防を充実して外侮を防ぐに足る 武備を云う。戦争は悲惨にして人道に反するが、しかも此の戦争を未然に防ぐものは平和会議ではなく、唯その 国の軍備である。」いまも国際世界が共有する常識であり、9条改正と核武装の必要、外国人参政権不要な所以 である。本著は戦後頻発し今も続く外侮に憤る日本人のカタルシスともなるであろう。
    ===========
    Google Translate:

Russo-Japanese War reportage Mizuno Hironori captain who served as No. 41 torpedo coxswain combined fleet in the Battle of the Sea of ​​Japan was published six years after the war. I say two greatest authorities, along with the army of "Human Bullet". English Title This One Battle. Caused a brush from Ribau naval port departure of Baltic Fleet, Zanteki decisive battle of Tsushima Strait Okinoshima off the coast of the 27th May 1905 for about half a year later, complete victory by Togo turn in the presence of the enemy right angle large turning, Takeshima and Matsushima off the next day after a detailed description of sweeping, and preach analysis of the reason for victory, the resolution of the war. It is Yoshifumi magnificent of "Human Bullet" Chinese classics like tone, but easy-to-read translation is inserted into the esoteric phrase. The best part is a detailed course of combat still. Truth of combat field Sensho be said as a "mythological miracle" is detailed, around 2:30 pm battle in full swing ring, rare cry of "deck Pissing Katteshidai" and came out in the complaint of soldiers to defend the placement it was introduced many, as intended in writing, to become "standing between life and death, and to introduce to the public the fight deer deposition brave how, Imperial Navy soldiers, tells the timeless the fame barrel Junji the country," the record are. The praise the good fight of flagship Swarovski jewelry, do not lose the cool-headed perspective (such as criticism of the military regulations violation and praise to the respect for human life) a fair opinion on Nebogatofu major general surrender. It is a book you want to read the supporter of the current Constitution and Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama. 恃 the Isamu unnecessarily and "Kyohei Nde is not to say the like the war. Means a armaments sufficient to prevent the EXT to enhance the national defense. Contrary to humanity by the disastrous war, yet forestall war 此 says is a common sense thing to prevent in is not a peace conference. "now is the military of the country only the international world to share, This is why the need for nuclear weapons and Article 9 of the amendment, unnecessary foreign ginseng administration. The Author would be also catharsis of Japanese resent to EXT to continue now and after the war frequently.
    --Guy

Guy, Thanks again for your help. It seems as if this gun is a parallel to when the US restored "Old Ironsides" and used material off the ship to make souvenirs that raised money to restore the ship.

Howard Dennis