Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese characters

Article about: Hi Guys, Is there anybody out there who is able to translate these characters? They are on a helmet that was consigned to the shop I consult in. Unfortunately, this is the only image I have

Default Japanese characters

Hi Guys,

Is there anybody out there who is able to translate these characters? They are on a helmet that was consigned to the shop I consult in. Unfortunately, this is the only image I have available at the moment.

Kindly forgive my ignorance concerning the proper rotation of the image.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,
    Richie
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese characters  
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

MAP
    ?

Upside down. Can you rotate. I can ask my wife tonight if someone does not chime in.....

but my chinese co-worker looked at it, turning her head sideways (LoL)

So reading (from your picture) right to left

first symbol is "1"
    Second she does not know (most likely a name)
    third symbol is "soldier"
    forth symbol is "up"

these are not exact translations. Sure others can do better.

Michael
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Many thanks Michael. For the heck of it I'll post these so nobody will pull any neck muscles helping me out...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese characters   Japanese characters  

Japanese characters  

MAP
    ?

My co-worker left for the day......so if no one answers and my wife is in a good mood tonight I will get a second opinion from her.

M

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Doesn't make sense to me, so let's parse the individual characters [not a recommended translation practice]. I'm assuming a pre-war reading from right to left.

above
    government official/attend/serve/doing
    landing a boat
    numeral 1

I'm wondering if is an abbreviation for 上海 Shanhai?

--Guy

Rod
    ?

Since I'm all for proving myself an idiot... What I see in the photos looks like the fabric liner of a civilian helmet. Maybe a name and occupation?

上 Noboru 仕 Tsukaeru (does that make sense?)

A civilian dockworker charged with mooring boats, number 1 position. Fanciful, I know.

Rod

MAP
    ?

Quote by Rod View Post
    Since I'm all for proving myself an idiot... What I see in the photos looks like the fabric liner of a civilian helmet. Maybe a name and occupation?

上 Noboru 仕 Tsukaeru (does that make sense?)

A civilian dockworker charged with mooring boats, number 1 position. Fanciful, I know.

Rod
    Ok Rod, I'll go one further in proving the idiot test....lol

If a civil lid, maybe it wasn't issued to a particular person and the kanji is referring to a unit or crew in charge of working on the docks.

Pure speculation...

michael

Guys,

Thank you very much for your answers. I get the jist.

It is indeed a civil type of helmet by the way.

Our consignor will be greatly appreciative also.

Cheers,
    Richie