Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese collection question

Article about: Hello Friends, I have a question about the japanese stuff in WW II the prices in generaly are not expensive, jackets and caps, more for helmets or rare caps but Vs The German army it's a gre

Default Re: Japanese collection question

Quote by Totenhead View Post
    Corey

You will find that WW2 effectively started well before Germany invaded Poland in 1939, study the Japanese in the mid to late 1930's
    In my opinion the global crisis we call World War 2 did not officially start until 1939. Germany's moves made the war a global war. Japan's aggression in the late 30's is a different war entirely, the Second Sino-Japanese War. It is open to debate, but perhaps on another thread.

Regards,
    Corey

Quote by Sir Payne View Post
    In my opinion the global crisis we call World War 2 did not officially start until 1939. Germany's moves made the war a global war. Japan's aggression in the late 30's is a different war entirely, the Second Sino-Japanese War. It is open to debate, but perhaps on another thread.

Regards,
    Corey
    Was it not effectively a European War until the USA declared war on Japan, hence Roosevelt’s reservations in the first place? The USA were reluctant to get involved in another “European War "

Back in my day, Japanese stuff was practically nonexistent. Sure, you would see the occasional meatball or sun flag or a helmet-maybe a bayonet or so, but not much else. Today, it is still scarce but much more available than it Had been. As a result,not alot of people know all that much about the awards, equipment, insignias, etc. As for the ferocity of the Japanese military, it hardly needs to be mentioned. The Japanese fought with all or nothing-almost always to the death. To be Captured by them was a terror for many an Allied soldier, as it was well known you would be treated with the utmost brutality and there was a high likelihood you would never return. When the war was over, you never saw the prosecutions of the Japanese on a scale that you did(and still do) of the Germans. Many a well known evil and murderous Japanese war criminal still lives today in comfort and safety-well protected by the Japanese government. The Germans, on the other hand, are being hunted even to this Day-down to the common Private KL guard. Are there Japanese versions of the Simon Wiesenthal organization out there? If there is, I've never heard of them. I remember seeing films captured after the war of the Japanese guards using their Katanas to behead American prisoners and laughing at the headless bodies staggering a few steps spurting blood like a decapitated chicken. If these had been German guards in a camp film doing this to prisoners, they would have hunted them down to the last man.
    Maybe, somehow, the Germans were more identifiable with the Western peoples than the Japanese were. Their customs and ways of thinking are, to some, more understandable than the Oriental mentalities and ways. People look at the Germans and think "That could have been Me if I had been born there" but it's extremely difficult to imagine being Oriental for most Westerners. Whatever the reason, in my day, most collectors were satisfied with picking up a Rising Sun flag and maybe a Nambu or something of the like and that was it. There wasn't all that much available in any case and this made it less desirable to collect. Why start collecting something you may have to hunt for and wait Years to have just a few pieces of? German stuff, however, was Everywhere-brought back by the souvenir crazy GI's. Maybe the GI's just didn't Want any mementos of the horrendous Japanese campaigns to bring back memories they would much rather let sink away into obscurity? Fighting your way across Europe was bad enough,but the Island fighting in the Pacific was a pure Nightmare to the GI's and Allied troops who fought there. The sooner forgotten and buried, the better.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

My Grandfather fought the Japanese in PNG and to his death despised them for there atrocious actions.The only totaly raised Tasmanian AIF Battalion were taken in Timor in 42 and interned in the Japanese hell holes you mention William,Those that made it home to tell their stories (which have never been forgotten) were also of my pops mind set.
    The Japanese never even educated their future generations with regards to their inglorious past and most are still ignorant to this day.I understand the reasoning behind this but don't agree in hindsight.We all must be accountable and educated re our actions what ever they are.
    I have a dislike of Japanese militaria for this reason and didn't wish to mention it.After reading your post William I feel I may not be alone.
    Cheers
    Dave

I was listening to a BBC Radio 2 broadcast late last year; British Vets taken prisoner by the Japanese at Singapore were talking about their experiences at the hands of the Japanese, made the hair on my neck stand up, I must admit I had a tear in my eye listening to one old chap. Really got me thinking about it but I don’t want to start ranting on about the Japanese in this thread!!!

?

Gentlemen , this thread is veering down a path i do not wish it to travel ! Please keep posts to answering the OP's original question . Thank you in anticipation of your understanding !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

To lead back to the original topic, in my personal opinion I feel it maybe a combination of the fact that the tr period was so short lived and the brutality which existed during it. When comparing to U.S militaria or Japanese's, you can find objects used during the war which are very similar from pre war, as well as post war. Also as already stated, the Germans made high quality awards, uniforms, etc. as well as they tend to use insignia which is appealing to the average collector; such as the deathhead. I personal collect tr items due to the amount of family history entwined with the tr period. Remember, many American come from German dissent.

Personally i think TR items are more interesting to collect due to the variety, for example if you collect buckles the amount of different TR items is amazing, where as Imperial Japan produced very few types of different buckles.

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    Personally i think TR items are more interesting to collect due to the variety, for example if you collect buckles the amount of different TR items is amazing, where as Imperial Japan produced very few types of different buckles.

A very good point !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

I agree with Wagriff,the japs got away with mass murder of civilians and military persons,why because the USA goverment etc. did not want to bother.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast