Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Japanese Combat Helmet - Iwo Jima vet bringback?

Article about: by GIZMO8Z It happened again! My family owns a recycling facility. Pople dump militaria all the time. This time, a customer saw a sign I made and donated a JAPANESE COMBAT HELMET to me! He s

?

Default Re: Japanese Combat Helmet - Iwo Jima vet bringback?

The scratches might be the soldiers name, as for value they can differ quite a bit depending on condition, a relic one , no liner, rusted condition , over here will cost £100, yours would fetch about £400-500 possibly more if the provenance could be verified

Thanks to everyone for the kind words!

I'm really hoping I can get the markings on the helmet translated!

Between pieces donated to me for use in my classroom, and pieces thrown out at our recycling facility, I may never have to buy a piece of militaria ever again.

If anyone can point me in the right direction for getting the kanji on this helmet translated, I'd really appreciate it!

This pic may be up-side-down or sideways... I don't know anything about Japanese characters.

You are one lucky guy. To get given a helmet like that is amazing! Keep searching and keep digging up this gold! Well done

The helmet is defiantly a looker, and worth a pretty penny.

Quote by VolksJager View Post
    You are one lucky guy. To get given a helmet like that is amazing! Keep searching and keep digging up this gold! Well done

The helmet is defiantly a looker, and worth a pretty penny.
    Believe me, I feel extremely blessed. Believe it or not, this Type 90 is the 3rd helmet I've gotten here at our recycling facility. The first was a M35 double decal in great shape, the second was a beaded and reissued(?) M40 (it went unseen and was damaged by our garbage grinder ... but now I'm getting it semi-restored), and now this TYPE 90 (I have made a thread for each helmet I've gotten here). It may seem kind of odd... but for lack of a better word, I feel very proud of myself. I feel like these helmets would have either been thrown away or be sitting in an attic or closet until the end of time. I want to do everything in my power to preserve the helmets that I've been given for future generations.

I want to display some of my helmets in my classroom on a perminant basis... I'm going to talk to an art teacher about painting foam wig heads to make them look like soldiers... THIS STUFF GETS ME SO EXCITED!

?

The only problem will be if the students begin to handle them, untold damages can be done if the inexperienced get to play , looking behind the liners, playing with the helmets, pulling them on their heads etc, i would advise against it, by all means show the helmets to the class but restrict the handling and dont leave them there, they will be safer at your home and will last a lot longer so you can show other generations, theres also the danger of theft for which you will not be fully compensated plus the history of the item cannot be replaced

Quote by davejb View Post
    The only problem will be if the students begin to handle them, untold damages can be done if the inexperienced get to play , looking behind the liners, playing with the helmets, pulling them on their heads etc, i would advise against it, by all means show the helmets to the class but restrict the handling and dont leave them there, they will be safer at your home and will last a lot longer so you can show other generations, theres also the danger of theft for which you will not be fully compensated plus the history of the item cannot be replaced
    You're right, and I've had that in mind. While most students are great, some can be pretty rotten...

The idea I have in mind is to display some of my lesser helmets... for example my beaded M40 Luftschutz that was damaged by a recycling machine and is now more or less worthless, and my white American Office of Civil Defense helmet which are a dime-a-dozen here in the U.S.

?

Very wise, also you should have the whole enjoyment of seeing them on a daily basis sitting on a nice shelf in your own home

Quote by davejb View Post
    Very wise, also you should have the whole enjoyment of seeing them on a daily basis sitting on a nice shelf in your own home
    Absolutely! I have a nice little display shaping up at home, but unfortunately not enough room!

I'll get around to posting pictures...

And you call this a job??!! Awesome, keep it up

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast