Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Compass???

Article about: Hi, I have this compass that has Japanese writing on it and supposedly came from WW2. It is interesting because the writing on the dial is in English, but the other inscriptions appear to be

Default Japanese Compass???

Hi,

I have this compass that has Japanese writing on it and supposedly came from WW2. It is interesting because the writing on the dial is in English, but the other inscriptions appear to be in Japanese. I was told it "came off of a mortar" (obviously that is probably not the case). Anybody know what this is? The bottom of it has sort of a screw or dial. Also, the north/south arrows do not move. Is there some way to release them? The compass is about 4" across and 1.75" tall.

Thanks,
    Phil

Japanese Compass???Japanese Compass???Japanese Compass???

Default Re: Japanese Compass???

水平指力針

Horizontal Guidance Power Needle

水平 Suihei = "flat as water" which means horizontal [e.g., suihei-giri is "horizontal cut"]
    指 yubi/shi= "finger" and paired with /dou means 指導 shidou "guidance", so I'm thinking that's a good guess .... [or not!]
    力 ryoku/riki/chikara = strength/power
    針 hari = needle

It might also be "horizontal [finger-powered] needle" .... maybe a horizontal compass, or perhaps an azimuth setting ... adjusted by finger pressure?

--Guy

?

Here`s something that might be useful.....http://gunsight.jp/b/english/data/j-reading.htm
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Quote by zwerge View Post
    Here`s something that might be useful.....http://gunsight.jp/b/english/data/j-reading.htm
    Thanks, that link *is* helpful and I'm bookmarking it!! None of the set phrases in the charts match the original poster's data plate, but by interpolation, I'm guessing it means

Horizontal Directional Gauge

I see that "hari/kei" [needle] can also be applied to gauge (and clock -- I forgot about "tokei")

--Guy

?

Here`s the rest of the site.....funatsu aviatuon instruments museum
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Thanks!

--Guy

Thanks guys! That sight is super helpful. Is there anywhere where someone could tell me what this is off of? I would have to think that it is off of some type of machinery and something significant.

Thanks,
    Phil

Well, the company name is Tokyo Keiki, KK. I looked on the link Zwerge kindly provided and see that company made magnetic compasses for the Army and Navy. On your data plate is the date on the bottom, but I can't read it; what Showa year is it? [that's the middle aluminum panel with an impressed number -- looks like 8 to me]

The company spun off in 1936. Apparently the Tokyo Keiki Co. and Tokyo Aviation Indicator Co. They are still in business as Tokyo Keiki Ltd., but their online site has no email addresses; all inquiries must be made on their inquiry page.

Perhaps the host site, Funtatsu Aviation Museum, can help if you send them an image? Their email address: challenger@gunsight.jp

Let us know if you get an answer back.

Cheers!
    --Guy