Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese dagger

Article about: Hi Guys, I have very limited knowledge of Japanese edged weapons. This one has come into work and I wanted to share it with you. I like it and the quality is good. Any info gratefully accept

Default Japanese dagger

Hi Guys, I have very limited knowledge of Japanese edged weapons. This one has come into work and I wanted to share it with you. I like it and the quality is good. The photos will enlarge nicely if you double click on them.

Any info gratefully accepted.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese dagger   Japanese dagger  

Japanese dagger   Japanese dagger  

Japanese dagger   Japanese dagger  

Japanese dagger  
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Hi Ade , thanks for showing this beautiful dirk . It is an 1883 pattern Imperial Japanese Naval Officers dirk . It has a standard leather cover on the scabbard ( some of these examples are upgraded to sharkskin ) . It has a slight separation of the "same" ( the ray skin covering on the handle ) on the seam , however this is normal to see a little shrinkage with these after all this time , also it is good to see the wire wrapping in good order ! All the fittings are in place and it shows a fabulous even patina which i love to see , a super example .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Great, thanks Al.

I suspected Navy, but did not want to show my ignorance and put it in public

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

?

Looks to have stamp on crossguard , a sakura with anchor. Toyokawa arsenal.

Vey nice Ade, I just got one of these a few weeks ago, you can find a few of them on ebay, prices vary depending on condition and style.

?

Ade if you don't mind me asking. What do you do for a living where all these great items just seem to walk in the door??
    It must be a fabulous job!!!!

Great looking Dirk!
    Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi Phil, my main job is my own gardening business. But since January I now work a few days a month for Hanson's Auctioneers. Charles Hanson, the owner, is well known here on BBC TV. He is great chap, very nice and genuine.

It is a dream job. Getting paid for looking at militaria. Just costing me a fortune, as I end up bidding on stuff lol.

Here is my page:

militaria, antique medals, militaria valuations, militaria auctioneers, midlands auctioneers, ethnographica, military history

Cheers, Ade.

?

Beautiful dagger Ade - I'm looking for one just like it!

Regards

Russ