MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese dog tags

Article about: Hi all new to the site I have been excavating a former pow site in Thailand on behalf of the TBRC and have come across many Allied items. However I have found 2 Japanese dog tags. The 1st is

Default Japanese dog tags

Hi all new to the site I have been excavating a former pow site in Thailand on behalf of the TBRC and have come across many Allied items. However I have found 2 Japanese dog tags. The 1st is an enlisted man in the 5th railway regiment. Stamped only on one side.
    The second I found yesterday is chiseled on both sides. I believe it to be 5th railway regiment but apart from that I have no further info. Can anyone help. I have attached pics of both sides of the latest tag
    Many thanks
    Chris
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese dog tags   Japanese dog tags  

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum. Must be very interesting excavation a POW camp!!!

Someone should be around to help translate the disk. That said, the first photo is upside down. Can you rotate and repost? And the second one will be very hard to read. Any way you could get a clearer photo of the kanji? Especially the characters on the right side.

Would love to see the other bits and bobs you've dug up.

M
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Japanese tags are very seldom seen and to find Two of them even more so! I can't help you with the translations or values, but I very much like them both. I've never actually had one in all the years of collecting I've been in, so a Nice find indeed!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Very interesting and also a fantastic job you are doing to preserve the history. If you don't mind opening another post after you get your answer here. I would be VERY interested in your allied finds.

Semper Fi
    Phil

I only redid the first photo, so it would be oriented correctly for reading. It says 5th Railroad Regiment, 5th company. Judging by the improvised way they scratched the info on this must have been the side used towards the end of the war.
    Below is the proper way a photo should be presented, if you want people to read it for you.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese dog tags  

Rod
    ?

I can't read the right side in photoshop no matter how the image is manipulated, but the left side: 番 51 (soldier "# 51") is cancelled.

If the right side of the tag is as degraded as it seems, and perhaps cancelled too by putting random lines through the already obscure, it may be too difficult to get an accurate read.

Can you get a better pic of the all important right side of this tag?

right side up
    Japanese dog tags

Rod

Hi guys, thanks for responses, I will try and clean this tag up further tomorrow and post correct way photos. I will add the first tag I found also plus some of the allied finds,
    Many thanks
    Chris

Default Another one!!

Hi guys found yet another tag at Khao din yesterday, slightly damaged but marks quite visible. Photos are front and obverse latest, front and obverse of tag previously posted that's as good as it will clean and photo of 1st find which is stamped one side only. I believe they are all 5th Railway Regiment which fits in with the camp. Your help please gents
    Thanks
    ChrisJapanese dog tagsJapanese dog tagsJapanese dog tagsJapanese dog tagsJapanese dog tags

Pic 2 is 1st find pic 5 is reverse of pic 1

You need to post them the way I showed you in order to be read. The second photo shows the later code for the 5th Regiment, namely "Forest 5804". The last one is for the 4th regiment. Too much trouble to turn each photo around so I won't bother with the others, sorry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast