Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Field Caps Found In Collection

Article about: My late father collected militaria for years as I was growing up and I am presently sorting through his collection and trying to identify as much as possible. The collection includes at leas

?

Default Japanese Field Caps Found In Collection

My late father collected militaria for years as I was growing up and I am presently sorting through his collection and trying to identify as much as possible. The collection includes at least two japanese field caps. One of the caps (which I will post later) was given to him when he was a teenager by his cousin (Fred Higgins) who enlisted in the marines in 1943 and was in a service battalion. My father purchased the second cap (the one posted here) in the late 1960s or early 1970s. Unfortunately, its not as in good a condition as the one he received from his cousin. If someone could give me some information about the cap I would appreciate it. Is it possible to translate any of the markings on the inside or outside of the cap? Thanks for your help.

TomJapanese Field Caps Found In CollectionJapanese Field Caps Found In CollectionJapanese Field Caps Found In Collection
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Field Caps Found In Collection  

?

Hi Tom, looks like a nice summer enlisted mans field cap.

Someone may be able to translate the name written on the label, and also on the side.

No one knows for sure what the fractions mean.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Russ

?

Thanks for the information Russ. I have a similar cap from the same collection that I will try to post soon.

T.

Rod
    ?

Hi Tom,

山石 surname = Yamaishi (Stone mountain).

Best I can do with what's visible.

Rod

?

Thank you Rod! I appreciate it.

Hi Rod,

Quote by Rod
    山石 surname = Yamaishi (Stone mountain)
    Close, but no cigar. You didn't see the "mountain" off to the right of the cap. His name was:

山岩
    Yamaiwa (Mountain Cliff)

--Guy

Rod
    ?

Quote by ghp95134 View Post
    Hi Rod,

Close, but no cigar. You didn't see the "mountain" off to the right of the cap. His name was:

山岩
    Yamaiwa (Mountain Cliff)

--Guy
    Arrrgg! Thanks Guy!

You're right, I didn't see the cliff (now there's a joke that wrote itself).

Rod

?

Guy and Rod, is it possible to identify any date(s), or place of issue? I could try to take better photos if that might help.

Tom

Rod
    ?

Hi Tom,

Second pic from the bottom. The Japanese norm at the time was to read and write from (in this case the tag's) right side to its left side (and top to bottom), obviously we're talking about the bottom 4 columns.

In that context I don't know what the 1st is about. The 2nd column is the man's name ID'd by Guy. The 3rd column has 2 printed kanji, top is year (nen), bottom month (gatsu), I can't tell if there is faint writing in that one. The 4th column has brackets (3) and what looks like 18 year, something month, that would be 1943 (for Showa 18 year).

That's about all I can say without diving for the books. The printing on the rest of the label should be the Naval clothing depot it came from and other details relevant to its being.

Rod

?

Thanks Rod.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast