Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Japanese flag

Article about: To be clear, when I said made for him I too was referring to his having the flag personalized. As to captured ... doubtful in my mind due to lack of slogans, names. The national flag was mad

?

To be clear, when I said made for him I too was referring to his having the flag personalized. As to captured ... doubtful in my mind due to lack of slogans, names. The national flag was made and available in large numbers so could have been obtained in any number of ways and locations. Perhaps the bring back papers will reveal more. I look forward to whatever you can add as time permits.

Regards,
    Stu

?

Thanks Stu, unfortunately the bring back papers went with the bulk of the medical supplies. Those were purchased by someone else. My buddy tried keeping the papers for me, but the lady really wanted them....I may be able to track down and get copies...... the flag is stained and seen betters days, that is why I am leaning towards taken and not purchased, etc.

Last night I was in a rush. I just had another, closer look -- adjusted color, brightness, etc. and I still cannot make out the sergeant's first name. NOW, it looks to my eye that it might start with マ (ma) and not ア (ah).

On the far left, above Fukushima is the word "Nippon" which I forgot to add last night -- and it is followed by some open strokes that look like in "grass writing".

I just googled "パイウェル" and got a hit for ハイウェル (without the little º after the ハ). In this example it is "Hiwell" -- a Japanese company. SOooooo ..... perhaps your sergeant's surname is Piwell, Pywell, Paiwell or even .... Pyle????

マ...ド パイウェル軍曹
    第五海兵師団
    第28連隊 第16隊 エ中隊
    日本国 福岡県 福岡市

--Guy

?

Thanks for all the help! I love history's mysteries are unsolved! This one appears to still be somewhat elusive..... I await further input from Joe. Thanks again everyone, for all your help!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2