Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese flag

Article about: To be clear, when I said made for him I too was referring to his having the flag personalized. As to captured ... doubtful in my mind due to lack of slogans, names. The national flag was mad

?

Default Japanese flag

Hey guys,I picked this up with some medical supplies from a picker/antiques dealer friend of mine today. He bought out an estate and this is what he had found so far. Says he found another box of stuff and is coming over Tom. Anyway, there was a bring home slip,dated August 45 for the flag and medical supplies....I skimmed the paper work quickly a few days ago at his house,I was pressed fire time, but did retain the date and soldiers rank, which was Sgt. Just wanted to share the pics, flag is approx 36"x36",...... Joe Trocino is having the Kanji translated for me., thanks again Joe!

if the admin would rotate the Kanji pic that would be great, sorry it uploaded wrong, using my phone.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese flag   Japanese flag  

Japanese flag   Japanese flag  

Japanese flag  

?

Perhaps I can assist. I have also enhanced the kanji, hopefully more easily read now.

Regards,
    Stu
    Japanese flag

?

Message to Guy ... I noticed you on site earlier. This is beyond my capabilities. Are you able to read it?

Regards,
    Stu

?

Thanks Stu!

?

Quote by Newbie View Post
    Thanks Stu!
    You are welcome. I am interested in this one myself for three reasons. Most yosegaki hinomaru (Good Luck Flags) are more heavily adorned with slogans and names of well-wishers so this one is somewhat unique in that regard. I'm also curious as to the nature of the content of whatever is written. Is it too of a medical nature? If so do the sentiments differ between a soldier bent on destroying a hated foe and a medical man trained to respect and save life. Lastly, I wonder if I am correct in my belief that one particular kanji is repeated several times amongst the others in the middle vertical column.

Guy will be along soon I'm sure and be able to offer assistance.

Regards,
    Stu

Strange name: Sergeant "...Dopaiueru"
    [obliterated]...ドパイウェル軍曹

EDIT [wondering if this is a French name???? What year is this flag? The French taught military tactics, etc. from 1860s - 1878]

5th Marine [?] Division
    第五海兵師団

第28連隊 第16隊 エ中隊
    28th Regiment, 16th Group/Squad/[battalion-level?] , Engineer Company

Fukuoka Province, Fukuoka City
    福岡県 福岡市

I might have misread some kanji, but I feel about a 90% accuracy on this translation.

--Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 08-07-2013 at 06:42 AM. Reason: Change "Naval Infantry" to "Marine"

I think the Sergeant's first name is Alfredo: アルフレド

So that MIGHT be "Alfred Devereaux"???

--Guy

?

Interesting ... And in my view odd that so much personal unit information would be found on a yosegaki hinomaru. Might this in fact be something else entirely? A gift perhaps? Maybe to a foe once hated but at the time respected for some kindness or mercy shown?

Regards,
    Stu

?

Hi Guy. I see I was forming my post when you edited yours. Interesting concept of the French name.

If memory serves me the 28th was part of the now deactivated USMC 5th Div. so that part fits.

Maybe he had a local make it up for him as a souvenir of his service.

Regards,
    Stu

?

The rank of the soldier who brought all this back was a Sgt, but I don't remember his name, just glanced real quick at the bring bring home papers..... I don't think made for him, but rather he captured, then had it personalized.... just a thought.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast