Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese flag

Article about: Hi all, new here so been looking around forum and all very intetesting. My question is to all you experts in this field is what can you tell from my flag? There is a story but dont want to m

?

Default Japanese flag

Hi all, new here so been looking around forum and all very intetesting.
    My question is to all you experts in this field is what can you tell from my flag?
    There is a story but dont want to mis diagnose or anything so will tell what i know after. Is there a way to attach photos to show the flag??

Welcome to the forum!

This should be of help: Visual Guide to Upload Photos

Regards, B.B.

?

Thank you for helping, although i cant seem to be able to access any functions from my mobile phone, so i will upload later on when i return home.

?

Default japanese flag

Ok , so here are my photos of the Japanese flag I got, be interesting to see what you come up with. thanks again for your time and having this interesting forum also.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese flag   Japanese flag  

Japanese flag   Japanese flag  

Japanese flag  

It's a one-looker original with a stamp from the Yasaka Shrine

Smile

Very Nice Flag! Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum! Geoff

Welcome.

Indeed, a great flag - even with the burn holes.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

?

Is there any way of telling who it was for what unit or the campaign? As i dont know alot about japanese it would be interesting to know. Its fairly big too, i would estimate 1 meter by 70.

The photos are facing the wrong way, etc, so I did not bother reading it, but I think it was presented to a Ibe or Inobe. Unit information was normally prohibited in such send-off banners, but it would have been a unit based around Kyoto judging by the Shrine at which the flag was blessed.

Interesting! It is dedicated to a Mr. Ibe , and there is a signature from a kendo master-teacher.

祈井邉君武運長久

剣道範士
    渡部 .... [I think that is the kanji I'm seeing???]

Ki Ibe-kun Buun Chōkyu

Kendo Hanshi
    Watanabe ...

Wishes/Prayers (to) Mr Ibe: Continued luck in the fortunes of war

Kendo Master
    Watanabe ...
    ====

In pre-war Japan there were not many hanshi-level teachers (8th dan). Dan is a grade, but renshi/kyoushi/hanshi are 称号 "shogo" teaching ranks. I cannot make out the given name ... but there was in 1940 a kendo hanshi named Watanabe Hiroshi; whose name is mentioned amongst Yamaoka Tesshu, Sakakibara Kenkichi, and Takano Sasagawa ... extremely famous swordsmen. Sadly, the source is in English and does not show the kanji.

--Guy

Update ... I'm certain the first kanji of the given name to the fencing master is which is hiro/haku; I'm betting it is Watanabe Hiroshi. I must not get too excited! Nick will tell me the mistakes I've made.

(^__^)
    Last edited by ghp95134; 05-18-2018 at 09:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast