MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

japanese flag for authenticity

Article about: I purchased another Japanese flag hoping it not to be a SeaBee special - I will have better pics when I get it but any comments/views would be appreciated. Is the writing gibberish or true?

Default japanese flag for authenticity

I purchased another Japanese flag hoping it not to be a SeaBee special - I will have better pics when I get it but any comments/views would be appreciated. Is the writing gibberish or true? Sorry if orientation is incorrect - I can redo when I receive the flag. thanks joe
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture japanese flag for authenticity   japanese flag for authenticity  

japanese flag for authenticity   japanese flag for authenticity  

A genuine piece.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

?

I agree a good flag.

Default I Like This ....

米鬼断じて撃べし
    Amerika oni danjite gekki-beshi
    You Should Absolutely Attack [or Hammer/Strike/Shoot] the American Devils!!! -- almost touching the left side of the hi-no-maru. Perhaps a "cleaner" and more concise translation is "Kill the American Devils!"

"American Devils!" .... gotta love that! (^__^) It's much better than the Chinese Communist's "Running Dogs of American Imperialism." Bwa-Hahahahaha

--Guy

EDIT: My "two-legged dictionary" is not here .... and I'm uncertain of the pronunciation! 撃べし might be "Uchi-beshi" .... at least that sounds easier on the lips than "gekki-beshi".

A good, genuine item with a nice patina of age.

For those at all interested in these items, you need this book:

Imperial Japanese Good Luck Flags and One-Thousand Stitch Belts: Michael A. Bortner: 9780764329272: Amazon.com: Books

Thanks for showing it.

Martin

Very nice example!

What's more interesting is that this Yosegaki was written by the naval personnels.

Regards,
    Taka

thank you everyone!

How appropriate that the "American Devils" he was being urged to kill either killed Him or took his flag away from him as a trophy....lol
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

You can also get it direct from Mike's web site here ...

Get History Today - Home

or contact him over on WAF ... MikeB is his site name.

Regards,
    Stu

Between the Kanji Slogan thread on WA (Thread for the Compilation of Kanji Slogans and Translations - Wehrmacht-Awards.com Militaria Forums), the fellow war relics forum members and my Japanese co-worker I have some of the flag translated. My co-worker has some trouble translating he says due to the older style of 1940s compared to today's use/meanings/script. Can anyone here clarify his translation regarding the wording about the military ship and the symbol saying "soul"? Thanks.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture japanese flag for authenticity  

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast