Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese flag, fake, original or souvenir???

Article about: Hello my friends! I would like to know your opinion about this japanese flag, hinomaru yosegaki?. I bought this in a well known store of militaria and antiques in USA, where they guarantee t

Polikarpov
    ?

Default Japanese flag, fake, original or souvenir???

Hello my friends!

I would like to know your opinion about this japanese flag, hinomaru yosegaki?. I bought this in a well known store of militaria and antiques in USA, where they guarantee the 100% of Authenticity in their items... this is my flag:

Japanese flag, fake, original or souvenir???

I have been trying to translate the symbols during some months, but at the end I given up, and looking for information about how to translate japanese, I arrived to a japanese forum where I asked about the symbols. And they told me this:

upper
    ジョニー トーマス
    Johnny Thomas

left
    東京
    Tokyo

right
    日本横須賀
    Yokosuka Japan

lower
    西暦1945 十一月十七日
    November 17, 1945

After that, the translator who helped me, who seems to be japanese, told me: "That's not Hinomaru Yosegaki. (Seems like a forgery or souvenir.)"

Are you agree too that this flag is fake? Firstly I thought that this flag could be acquired in 1945 by some american soldier called Johnny Thomas, and he wrote his name, the date and the area where he served or fought, but it is only that, a little bit of hopeful

Thank you!

Greeting from Spain.

It is a souvenir flag that represents what it says. A soldier got someone to write his name in katakana, a phonetic alphabet used for sounds not native to the Japanese language and the rest is in kanji stating where he obtained the flag and when.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

Polikarpov
    ?

Thank you Bob!

So, in this case the flag is not a fake, is it??, is not a war flag, or hinomaru, but I understand that was obtained in 1945 by some soldier and wrote his name and the details where he obtained it as a remember where he served.

?

Its an original japanese national flag with kanji made/written post-war.
    Not of high value.

Quote by Polikarpov View Post
    Thank you Bob!

So, in this case the flag is not a fake, is it??, is not a war flag, or hinomaru,....
    A slight clarification is in order: Your flag IS a "Hinomaru." Even the flag today is called the Hinomaru. , Hinomaru, literally means "Sun's Circle;" though, the name is understood to mean "Flag of Japan." Calling the Japanese flag the "Hinomaru" is the equivalent of our calling the US flag the "Stars and Stripes." Regardless if the Stars and Stripes is a WWII battle-carried flag, or one made yesterday, it is still the "Stars and Stripes."

--Guy
    Last edited by ghp95134; 07-08-2014 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Stars & Stripes equivalency added

crazybear1
    ?

Default Help With Flag

My grandfather told me he took this flag off a solider from Japan while in the Philippines. Any help would be great.

Japanese flag, fake, original or souvenir??? Total flag
    Japanese flag, fake, original or souvenir??? Top of the flag
    Japanese flag, fake, original or souvenir??? I was told this is Tojo's name
    Japanese flag, fake, original or souvenir??? I was told this is Yamamoto's name

I was wondering if this is real or a aftermarket item. He said after a battle in the Philippines he took this and a few other items from the body. My grandfather just passed away and he said this flag gave him nightmares for years. If its real we are trying to find the family it belongs to.

Thanks.

?

Looks original.

It is impossible to trace back one of these flags strictly by family name. Please read the pinned thread about Shozo Owikawa. It was near impossible and took years to return his remains to the family. If you do not want to keep it in your family history, may I suggest you contact your closest Japanese consulate. They will take possesion of the piece and likely forward it to the Yasukuni Shrine in Tokyo, which is dedicated to all Japanese war dead. Welcome to the forum.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

I guess that I am not understanding here. Why is this flag inducing nightmares? It is simply a well wishers flag that was given to and carried by a Japanese soldier. Nothing eerie or ghoulish about it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Perhaps it was the circumstances in which it was recovered, either he killed the soldier, or judging by the blood staining it was a gruesome sight, or reminded him of the battle where he lost friends, a lot of veterans had nightmares right up until their deaths

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast