Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese flag with Nittobo on it....

Article about: Just wanted to check and see if this is a war time flag with the Co name NITTOBO on it ...any Ideas...thanks

Default Japanese flag with Nittobo on it....

Just wanted to check and see if this is a war time flag with the Co name NITTOBO on it ...any Ideas...thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese flag with Nittobo on it....   Japanese flag with Nittobo on it....  

Japanese flag with Nittobo on it....   Japanese flag with Nittobo on it....  

Try a black light check on it, but the marking is post war.

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Try a black light check on it, but the marking is post war.
    Thanks for your opinion Nick..... I will check it with black light.... I found a thread where you commented on Nittobo Textile co....but it is odd the english style writing on a war flag...? thanks

MAP
    ?

Randy,

This is a great thread that Nick put together

The Banner of Golden Brocade

Nick/Others: It was my understanding, which may be that "dangerous" collector lore, that most (?) flags during the war were made out of silk due to shortages of raw materials (cotton?) and also to prop up the silk industry. Is this correct?
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Before and after WW2, cotton flags would have been more common due to affordability, but during the Pacific War, it was regarded as one's patriotic duty to support the domestic silk industry to offset the loss of their export sales.

Thus the army even used silk in field caps, flight uniforms and even as canteen straps, but the most widespread practice was to have people use silk flags as Yosegaki. Silk was traditionally used as a canvass for Japanese painting, so it was highly suited for brush and ink with minimal bleeding.

But thin silk is not really suited as a material that takes a lot of stress fluttering in the wind, so once the war was over they went back to cheaper and yet more durable material like cotton or nylon.

Using pure silk for Yosegaki was an extravagant, "let them eat cake" measure that only made economic sense during WW2.

Nittobo as a company was established before WW2, so had the markings been in Japanese, the story would have been different. # was definitely used through postwar American influence and is strikingly un-Japanese in this context.
    Last edited by Nick Komiya; 04-18-2019 at 12:05 PM.

RMD
    ?

randywrap... Nice flag! I don't have enough knowledge to authenticate it, but I do hope it works out for you.

Take care.

RMD
    ?

Quote by nick komiya View Post
    Before WW2, cotton flags would have been more common due to affordability, but during the Pacific War, it was regarded as one's patriotic duty to support the domestic silk industry to offset the loss of their export sales.

Thus the army even used silk in field caps, flight uniforms and even as canteen straps, but the most widespread practice was to have people use silk flags as Yosegaki. Silk was traditionally used as a canvass for Japanese painting, so it was highly suited for brush and ink with minimal bleeding.

But thin silk is not really suited as a material that takes a lot of stress fluttering in the wind, so once the war was over they went back to cheaper and yet more durable material like cotton or nylon.

Using pure silk for Yosegaki was an extravagant, "let them eat cake" measure that only made economic sense during WW2.

Nittobo as a company was established before WW2, so had the markings been in Japanese, the story would have been different. # was definitely used through postwar American influence and is strikingly un-Japanese in this context.
    Nick, interesting information... Thanks' for posting this.

Take care.

Default NITTOBO marked GI bring-back Japanese Flag!!

This is very timely... I just realized my GI bringback flag also has "Nittobo" but with different numbers! I got this directly from the Soldier, SGT Frank Schlepp who was in the 63rd INF. He told me he picked up this flag from a Japanese airfield in the PI! It is definitely made of silk with the old worn leather corners and ties. My next step is to get someone to help me translate it!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese flag with Nittobo on it....   Japanese flag with Nittobo on it....  

Maybe procured during the occupation period?
    John

?

I own 2 Flags with the same marking on it. My friends father brought one back from WW2 with that same marking as well.

PG-

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast