Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese flag possibly from ww2?

Article about: New to the forum! and full of questions today. I was wondering if this is from the ww2 era and Im sure you have heard a lot of these questions but to me that looks like blood, any thoughts i

FNG
    ?

Default Japanese flag possibly from ww2?

New to the forum! and full of questions today.

I was wondering if this is from the ww2 era and Im sure you have heard a lot of these questions but to me that looks like blood,

any thoughts if this is worth persuing or not. Would like onr for my collection. Thank you

Pictures would be required to help you.
    John

FNG
    ?

yes that would help ...how did i Forget thatJapanese flag possibly from ww2?Japanese flag possibly from ww2?Japanese flag possibly from ww2?[ATTACH=CONFIG]1282163[/ATTACH
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese flag possibly from ww2?  

Quite frankly an ugly flag, also without much merit in calligraphy. The writing is from the Buddhist Lotus Sutra saying "Your enemies shall all perish". If you want a typical Yosegaki flag, find one with many friends signing instead. This one is hardcore religious and far from typical, though it may well be from WW2 (cotton 2-piece construction is a good sign, but check with black light for glow).

南無妙法蓮華経
    Namu-myoho-renge-kyo
    Devotion to the Mystic Law of the Lotus Sutra

This is the nenbutsu [calling the Buddha's name] of (1) Nichirin-shu Buddhism, (2) the off-shoot Nichirin Shoshu [Nichiren True Sect]; and (3) Nichirin Shoshu's off-shoot, Sokagakkai.

I'll have to turn the flag to see if I recognize the other chant/writing.
    [Oh, good ... looks like Nick did the other half.]

--Guy
    Attached Images Attached Images Japanese flag possibly from ww2? 
    Last edited by ghp95134; 02-15-2019 at 09:15 PM. Reason: Enumerated sects for clarification

Guy got you the writing on the other side. Anyway, not a very personal well-wishing flag, more like a talisman for a hardcore Buddhist than a send off gift from friends.

FNG
    ?

Thank you for your response. I do have a good prayer flag but this one is defiently pretty hardcore. These just typical stair on this flag or does it have a chance to be military?

Quote by FNG View Post
    Thank you for your response. I do have a good prayer flag but this one is defiently pretty hardcore. These just typical stair on this flag or does it have a chance to be military?
    The flag could have been carried by a soldier in battle for luck, but such items were never military, but private civilian items.

FNG
    ?

Defiently sounds like it was carried in battle. Makes you wonder if those are blood stains on it. I do have a prayer flag thats very nice and even has the Marines name on it and on the back it has a stamp by the U.S. joint intelligence office or whatever it was. Of anyone is interested seeing it i could post some pictures?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast