Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Japanese flag translation

Article about: Hello all, i have just purchased a japanese flag on ebay and the seller sold it to me at what I thought was a good price lol. Nonetheless, I still havent received it and the seller has no kn

?

Default Japanese flag translation

Hello all, i have just purchased a japanese flag on ebay and the seller sold it to me at what I thought was a good price lol. Nonetheless, I still havent received it and the seller has no knowledge on where the origin of the flag was and what any of the writing translates to. I collect military items mostly from the European theatres and have only basic knowledge on japanese items. Im in my 2nd year of collecting and always seek new info to absorb! Any translation that could be made out would be greatly helpful. If needed i will post more pictures once i receive my item. Thank You guys!

I can help with only part of the flag; guesses are in pink. We'll need a native-speaker to fill in the gaps I've left:

村 。。殿
    Zo Nanimura 〇〇 dono
    Gift to Mr. Nanimura .....

祈武運長久
    Ki Bu'un Chōkyū
    Prayers for Continued Luck in the Fortunes of War

京都市伏見第一小学校
    Kyoto City Fushimi Elementary School No. 1
    負見童一同
    ..... from all of us ....

--Guy

Sorry, but I won't waste my time straining my eyes on such a bad photo, not set up to be read.

?

Im wasting no one's time here, I Was only asking for a translation for anything that was legible. Save your eyes. I will post any clearer photos in a few days, Thanks!

Quote by JT1902
    Im wasting no one's time here, I Was only asking for a translation for anything that was legible. Save your eyes.
    WHOA .... SLOW DOWN, JT1902. Nick Komiya is the one person who can read and translate Japanese into English and German -- don't be defensive. Normally I would not have attempted a translation from the seller's photo and would have waited for better photos. But I am not an expert and had some extra time on my hands. Nick is a very busy person.

--Guy Power

?

No hostility here, sorry if that's how it appeared! I dont have any understanding of japanese literature. With that being my level of knowledge, anyone saying that my post is, "wasting their time" is a bit hostile on it's own, whether or not they are capable of reading it. If needed i would post better pictures as stated. Apologies for my ignorance in this area of collecting but i was only curious to know if anything was legible As the flag appeared battle damaged.

?

Hello JT1902,

When you have the flag in hand you might try my method of photographing flags. I lay them out flat on a clean cloth on the floor then stand on a stool so that I'm able to take the shot looking straight down at them. That keeps things in perspective and also allows for the translator to rotate the flag should it be required although in the case of your flag I think it will be correctly oriented with the tabs on the right and as shown in your last photo above.

Looking forward to seeing what you have.

Regards,
    Stu

Let's keep things civil. Frankly your picture was very poor to have an expert give a definitive answer. I found Nick's reply truthful and not hostile. Welcome to the Forum and understand the comments came on what you submitted and was not personal.
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

In the meantime, avoiding the problem...I've been sitting here trying to figure out just what happened to this flag. It's been guessed that it may be battle damage, but I'm not quite seeing how it could be. Only one edge is damaged, pretty much, and has suffered odd tears and rips. At first, I wondered if it had gotten caught in something, such as wreckage of a plane, etc, but it still doesn't seem right. It looks to be an authentic piece, but the damage to it is unusual to say the least! Interesting!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

It's always an interesting exercise to think about where our items came from, and who else may have encountered them along the way. The more you look a flag over, the more you end up seeing things; although I am not talking about the black painted characters and what they might say. As your quote states, "Much that once was, is lost...." So, acknowledging that, I might speculate this along with you with regard to the flag based upon what I see. Note, this is only speculation: Japanese national flags that were later made into hinomaru yosegaki came from virtually anywhere and everywhere. Some were manufactured professionally by companies on a fairly large scale, and were then sold/distributed to stores across Japan. Many of the flags seen were also made by local flag/banner merchants in cities or smaller towns, and are therefore seen in varying sizes, shapes, and materials. It has to be mentioned that this is in spite of the official regulations that dictated size of center orb in relation to white field (ratio), orientation of orb on white field, even color of "red" center, etc. Many flags were simply made to "look like" a national flag; the specifics were often ignored.
    Probably most of the flags that we see today had added stitching along the hoist, and fly side edges in order to provide increased strength to the sides of the flag that might be tied to a pole, rifle, sword, tree and/or to the side that would be whipping in the wind or dragging on the ground. As these were the higher stress areas of the cloth, they could be expected to receive the most damage from use.
    The corner tabs and tie strings appear to be in good condition, still securely sewn to the flag. The strings do not appear to have been cut/shortened, neither have they been torn from their corners. We often see missing tabs, ties, or entire corners of missing material that indicate that the flag might have been tied to something, and later torn down. Some may have been tied to an object, and then were ripped after being caught in something, or stepped upon. There does not appear to be any heavy staining to the flag, so it's hard to speculate damage to the cloth from battle, being dragged in the dirt, etc. The white material appears to be fairly clean and the characters are dark.
    Most of the damage appears near, and to the fly side of the flag. This would be the area where the flag would have been blowing in the wind or would have easily been caught on something. Depending upon the material, and the conditions, this could cause heavy wear and tear to the flag's fly side. My initial thoughts were that perhaps the flag was damaged by wind and dragging on the ground, although it would be nicer to have better images. It would be fun to be able to examine them in order to see just how much was missed based upon this incomplete evaluation.

MichaelB

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast