Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese flag Vet signed!

Article about: Hi All, I just picked up this Japanese flag and I have seen many German Vet signed flags but never a Japanese one so I though it was kind of neat, I need help on the Kanji translation that r

Default Japanese flag Vet signed!

Hi All,
    I just picked up this Japanese flag and I have seen many German Vet signed flags but never a Japanese one so I though it was kind of neat, I need help on the Kanji translation that runs down the right hand side of the flag, there are about 30 US G.I signatures on it and I did a quick search of some of the names and they do come back as WW2 Army soldiers, I have to dig deeper to find out what unit they belonged too and where they fought so I can trace the flag back to its origin, one of the addresses is very close to me so I may look into seeing if that person still lives there! The story goes this flag was captured and signed by them and then given to their officer in command as a gift. I have seen enough vet signed items to know that the signatures are original, thank you for any help you can provide with the Kanji translation! Hope you guys like it!!!!
    Japanese flag Vet signed!Japanese flag Vet signed!Japanese flag Vet signed!Japanese flag Vet signed!Japanese flag Vet signed!

Can"t help with the kanji - but it's a very nice flag.........!
    Regards,

Steve.

The flag is dated Showa 20 12th month 8th day(December 8, 1945)
    BOB

LIFE'S LOSERS NEVER LEARN FROM THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS.

So the flag is dated 3 months after the war ended, that is interesting, Here is the story that came with the flag, I know a story doesnt mean much but it may help the mystery, possible it was captured and then later on presented as a gift? could the date be when it was presented? I guess it would have been possible to get a local to date it, then have the men in the unit sign it, any theories?Japanese flag Vet signed!

A second hand story is not always reliable. Evidently, the officer who brought this back was given the flag as a memento from his men. the flag could have been a gift or purchased. As we know, the flag has not changed even until this day. The kanji was written by a Japanese hand. In my opinion, the widow's story is vague and infers the flag was taken in combat but that can never be proved without finding one of the men who signed the flag.
    It is what it is and the background story really adds nothing to it's historical value.
    BOB

Thank you Bob, I agree a story is only good from the horses mouth and not his arse. I will further research the names and hopefully track down a unit and go from there :-)

For my two cents, if all these men are from the same unit, and you can confirm that, I think it lends some credibility to the story. Being post war dated, doesn't mean they story isn't true, it just means he got it shortly after the war. But, without any evidence to corroborate the story, it does seem to mean very little.

?

What size is the flag?

?

The rest of the Japanese kana/kanji says: "Nagoya, Japan" and the name of the person the flag was presented to: James Mohtensen (sp?) or a similar last name. IMO, these kinds of postwar/occupation flags will become highly collectible in their own right. Great piece of history!

Tom

Quote by tomp View Post
    The rest of the Japanese kana/kanji says: "Nagoya, Japan" and the name of the person the flag was presented to: James Mohtensen (sp?) or a similar last name. IMO, these kinds of postwar/occupation flags will become highly collectible in their own right. Great piece of history!

Tom
    Maybe "Mortensen or Mortenson?"
    BOB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast