MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

The Japanese flag of the WW2. It is possible to Define, original it or not?

Article about: Hello. To me have brought an old Japanese flag. Have told, that it is a flag of times of the Second World War. It looks very old, silk yellow from time. Many black stains and the small holes

?

Default The Japanese flag of the WW2. It is possible to Define, original it or not?

Hello.

To me have brought an old Japanese flag. Have told, that it is a flag of times of the Second World War.

It looks very old, silk yellow from time. Many black stains and the small holes possibly burnt.

But cause questions triangular fastenings on corners, they look too new.

Whether it is possible to define, whether this flag is original, or it is a fake?

I ask to excuse for my bad English, I write through the electronic translator.

Best regards.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Japanese flag of the WW2. It is possible to Define, original it or not?   The Japanese flag of the WW2. It is possible to Define, original it or not?  

The Japanese flag of the WW2. It is possible to Define, original it or not?   The Japanese flag of the WW2. It is possible to Define, original it or not?  

The Japanese flag of the WW2. It is possible to Define, original it or not?  

Default Re: The Japanese flag of the WW2. It is possible to Define, original it or not?

I see no problems with it. Genuine WWII era.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Default Re: The Japanese flag of the WW2. It is possible to Define, original it or not?

The corners made of an artificial skin for fastening of cords (as it is called in English? ). They look very new, even shine. Strange.

Here two more images. Has made their scanner.

Attachment 366381Attachment 366382

Welcome!

The flag looks very nice! The tabs came in a variety colors. There are many examples here in the forum.

John

?

I would think that it would be difficult to say if it is definitely from before 1945. Afterall, this is still the national flag of Japan. I agree that the
    above tabs came in a variety of colors as well as materials. The components of the flag may point to it being older, but how old exactly might be
    up for debate. A Japanese flag from 1948 would look like one from 1943, imo. All that being said, it might be good for display, but I just feel that
    one could not state without any doubt that the flag was created/used during the WW2 era.

Tom

By that reasoning,you might as well ask what day it was manufactured on and what was the persons name who made it. I don't imagine that there was a huge demand for post WWII Japanese flags for quite awhile, or that the few that were to be found were saved as souvenirs for some unknown reason. This particular flag has the characteristics and materials of a wartime era flag made in Japan in the normal style then produced. If one wants an absolute precise date and time stamp on it, sorry. Not possible.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Hi,
    this is my Japanese Battle flag, as you can see it has been through a rough time, and has some staining to it, I think your flag is of the period and a fine example. hope this helps.
    Dave.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture The Japanese flag of the WW2. It is possible to Define, original it or not?  

?

Many thanks to you for your answers.

The person who to me has brought him speaks that has bought it on Ebay.com, the seller has not been assured of authenticity of a flag. The seller has received a flag from the veteran of war.

Interestingly, than such damages could be put a flag, as if many the small heated splashes which have burnt it.

?

I understand what you are saying Wagriff, but this item is not at a level of hinomaru yosegaki where style of writing, messages, etc. would point to the WW2 era. It is a national flag that continues to be used today and the same kind of materials were most likely used well after the war. These may be flimsy comparisons, but if one were to look at the tabi footwear up for auction at times on auction sites touted as "WW2 tabi footwear", some are definitely post war created but can only be id'd as such by how the maker's mark is stamped in the bottom of tabi. Heck, when I was living in Japan, I saw construction workers wearing a similar style tabi in 2007! Same with the hanko stamps: There are sales at times on the online auction sites of "WW2 era hanko stamps". A simple enough object--piece of shaped wood with carved family name at the end for stamping documents. I had one for work and all of my fellow co-workers in Japan had one or more as well to stamp documents. Long story short, I feel that there can be doubt with such an item "era"-wise. What it comes down to is if Rino is happy with the flag. I just gave one of several opinions that he can review.

Tom

?

Always it would be desirable to trust in the best. Unless not so?

After all it is impossible to check up precisely in any way if I am not mistaken.

On the supervision I can tell, that the silk fabric looks very old. Also a fabric pleated and crumpled.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast