MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Japanese Flags Brought Back by my Grandfather

Article about: Thanks, Pwny. Cheers, Robert

Default Japanese Flags Brought Back by my Grandfather

I just wanted to share with you these two Japanese flags my Grandfather brought back. These are two of my favorite items in my collection. These two items have little monetary value but great senimental value to me. I just love the period photos of him with the flags, he in the on with the hat on. He was on a destroyer The Gainard D.D. 706. Cheers, Robert
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Flags Brought Back by my Grandfather   Japanese Flags Brought Back by my Grandfather  

Japanese Flags Brought Back by my Grandfather   Japanese Flags Brought Back by my Grandfather  

Japanese Flags Brought Back by my Grandfather  

?

Default Re: Japanese Flags Brought Back by my Grandfather

What a great family heirloom you have there Robert , and are made so much more personal with the provenance of the photos of your Grandfather , thanks for showing them .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

It's great that you have the flags, but it's even better than you have photos of him with them. This is a very rare situation and I can only recall seeing one like it.

I have always wanted one of the Imperial Navy flags.

?

Hi Robert , do you also have the bayonet that your Grandfather is holding in the pics ?
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

Thanks for the replys Allen and Mo. I need to get a frame for the meatball flag to match the Imperial Navy. Allen I do have the bayonet and the Type 38 rifle he brought back too. I will post it later in the firearms forums. Cheers, Robert

?

Great flags with awesome provenance! A note of clarification: Rising sun flags with the sun in the center are Imp. Japanese Army style flags. Suns off-set slightly to the side are IJN style flags.

Tom

Thanks Tom, I had see the others and wondered what the difference in them was. In the past I have mainly collected things from the european theater WWII and just now starting to learn more about the pacific. Cheers, Robert

Whoops. sorry! I was under the impression that the rising sun flags were Navy flags. Thanks for the clarification!

Great family heirloom! I have a box of things my Grandfather brought home, and as you stated sometimes it's not the cash value of the object(s) but where they came from! Awesome pieces and great provenance.

This is a pretty cool thread! I'm glad that you have and appreciate them! I also like the pics of your grandfather with the flags, as it is a nice touch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast