Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Japanese Flags & Handkerchief ID

Article about: Hello all, these are the first Japanese items I have purchased in some time. I have an idea of what the flag is with the calligraphy but the silk one that is pretty much see though I do not

Default Japanese Flags & Handkerchief ID

Hello all, these are the first Japanese items I have purchased in some time. I have an idea of what the flag is with the calligraphy but the silk one that is pretty much see though I do not have a clue on. I have been told it was maybe even a scarf for the airmen. Also two handkerchiefs came with the lot with some art on them. I do not have a clue on these either. As far as the salty flag with the calligraphy the story on that one is it came from Iwo Jima. No provence on that yet but I am working on it. Thank you all in advance.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Flags & Handkerchief ID   Japanese Flags & Handkerchief ID  

Japanese Flags & Handkerchief ID   Japanese Flags & Handkerchief ID  

Japanese Flags & Handkerchief ID  

Default Re: Japanese Flags & Handkerchief ID

Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Japanese Flags & Handkerchief ID   Japanese Flags & Handkerchief ID  

?

you did very well jeff...! sorry i just got back onthe computor as someone was at my door i havent seen in years...nice flags and the others are great.! i have to say that one that is sighned is great..!! maybe someone on here can read the smaller ones for you?take care jeff and have a great night..

Hi Jeff, I cannot help on the text, but the items just scream "Original!".

Nice buys. I like the first one very much.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Jeff , that`s a very nice Hinomaru Yosegaki prayer or "good luck" flag , made of cotton , as far as the plain silk flag is concerned , their were many unsigned versions of these brought back by vet`s . The hankies show images of Shinto shrines and temples and also a warrior with a temple bell and were also possibly used as a kind of religious talisman , well done on you`re find .
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Wink Re: Japanese Flags & Handkerchief ID

Hi,

The flag was presented to SUZUKI Zenichi (bottom) with Prayers for Eternal Good Fortunes of War (top).

The kerchief is a souvenir from Mii-dera (Three Wells Temple) located at the foot of Mt Hiei in Otsu City, Shiga Prefecture, close to Kyoto.

Going from left to right in the photo:

Mii-dera All Wishes (Hall)

Three-story Pagoda

Chikae Mii-dera main Kannon (Godess of Mercy) Hall

Onjoji Golden Hall (Onjoji is a formal name for Mii-dera)

The bell dragged in by Benkei. According to legend this imposing semi-fictional hero reportedly at least two meters tall returned the temple's bell that had been carried away by dragging it over the mountain (Mt Hiei).

Nothing identifies the castle shown at the bottom in the silken handkerchief.

Hope this helps.
    Tom
    Last edited by tmys; 08-11-2011 at 11:58 PM.